Lusitania Pocket Watch-Can you Help?

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by Grant Perry, Mar 22, 2006.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Grant Perry

Grant Perry Registered User

Jun 5, 2002
    Ottawa-Canada's Capital
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Good evening:
    My friend has a pocket watch with a very interesting dragonfly pattern on the movement. The only other marks on the movement are the words Lusitania and Swiss made. There is absolutely no serial number to be found on the movement. The movement has been completely disassembled, but no serial number or any other marks. Has anyone come across of these watches before? I posted the pics on the *********** board, but had no luck. Any input is appreciated.
    Thank you

116593450_001624ed00_o.jpg

116593451_88171be311_o.jpg

2. Grant Perry

Jun 5, 2002
    Ottawa-Canada's Capital
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Good evening:
    My friend has a pocket watch with a very interesting dragonfly pattern on the movement. The only other marks on the movement are the words Lusitania and Swiss made. There is absolutely no serial number to be found on the movement. The movement has been completely disassembled, but no serial number or any other marks. Has anyone come across of these watches before? I posted the pics on the *********** board, but had no luck. Any input is appreciated.
    Thank you

1.jpg

1.jpg

3. Hi Grant,
    For what its worth...One thing I noticed right away is the remarkable simularity between this movement's design and those of the Omega Watch Co.
    Regards,
    Don

4. 4thdimension

4thdimension Registered User

Oct 18, 2001
    Country Flag:
    I saw yur watch on 185. The lay out does bear similarities to some Omegas. The Omega mark will be under the dial perhaps. The dragon fly etching is very cool. I've only seen acid etched movements of that quality before on U.S Watch Co. Waltham mov'ts. I don't know the entymology of the word Lusitania but my guess is that this watch predates the ship. I would look into it further if I owned the watch though.
    -Cort

5. doug sinclair

doug sinclair Registered User

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Grant,

That almost looks to me like a dial of English origin. I wonder if the movement was cased and dialed in England, and whether there are any marks inside the case back that might give further clues to the watch? The plate layout certainly looks like Omega, but I've never seen an Omega with that "bolt" holding the ratchet wheel on.

6. Grant Perry

Jun 5, 2002
    Ottawa-Canada's Capital
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Good morning:
    Thank you for all the input. I'll see if I can get my hands on the watch for some more info and pictures. Stay tuned!
    gp

7. harold

harold Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 12, 2001
    Is there a hall mark on the bow? There seems to be some kind of mark. Is it a wear mark?

8. Grant Perry

Jun 5, 2002
    Ottawa-Canada's Capital
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well not much more info on the watch. The case is a common Star gold filled case which looks original, but who knows. The bow has a 1Q engraved on it. My buddy (who owns the watch) saw one other Lusitanian listed on e-bay last year, with an exact movement, but without the dragonflies. The seller claimed that the Lusitanian name was registered by Wilsdorf and Davis..... Maybe Jeff Hess would know I can find no info.. :)

9. fairwthr

fairwthr New Member

Nov 29, 2011
    I have a watch (which works well) that is exactly the same but without the dragonflies. I inherited it from my mother - it used to belong to a great great uncle, I think. There is a number (154) on the edge of the case, and the STAR case number is 225154. As these communications are around 5 years old, it's likely that no one will read this, but I thought I'd mention having a similar watch just in case.

10. Jim Haney

Jim Haney Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Sep 21, 2002
    Male
    Working the farm, Garden,horses, goats, chickens,
    Decatur, TN.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    fairwthr,

Welcome to the NAWCC Message Board.. :D

I moved your post to the European Section because the watch is SWISS.

Someone will be able to help you with the ID.

Thanks

11. Mikrolisk

Mikrolisk Registered User

Feb 16, 2011
    Germany
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  12. PatH

PatH National Program Chair
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female