$ Lumen-Watson Tall Case Clock, circa 1820's

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by hdhaney, Dec 10, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. hdhaney

hdhaney Registered User

Dec 10, 2018
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I am looking for information on what this clock is worth and any other relevant information. My father was an antique clock collector my entire life. Our house was full of gorgeous clocks, but I never took the time to learn about them and now wish I had. He did leave me with some decent notes on them, but I have no idea how to value them, some for insurance purposes and others I am considering selling.

What I do know about this clock is it is a Lumen-Watson Tall Case Clock, Cincinnati, OH, circa 1820. It has a 30-hr wood movement, weight drive, time and strike (dial, movement, and weights are original). It is 8' tall and in good condition. This clock has been refinished. Clock runs and keeps time; although, I do not run it.

I welcome suggestions, advise, and any and all information.

Clock 1.jpg Clock 2.jpg Clock 3.jpg Clock 4.jpg Clock 5.jpg Clock 6.jpg Clock 7.jpg

2. brian fisher

brian fisher Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 20, 2017
    houston, tx
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I was looking through the members who have viewed this thread and I am a little surprised no one has yet commented on your post.

I do not know the value of your clock, but i can say that clocks from this era made in Cincinnati are very uncommon. It seems like it would be desirable to a person collecting early 19th c clocks. I would think the 30 hr movement would be less desirable than an 8 day since there are very few people today that would be willing to wind a clock every day.

you do have a nice but uncommon piece.

hdhaney likes this.
  3. hdhaney

hdhaney Registered User

Dec 10, 2018
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes, I was hoping for more thought on this piece also. I had someone message me and said $1,000 - $2,000. I have been told numerous price ranges on this piece. I was hoping I would get some responses from this group. I just posted another piece that I hope to get some more feed back. We will see. Thank you for your response.

4. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It's a great looking clock, and I assume the reason you haven't had much response is that it's so uncommon that it's hard to guesstimate what it might be worth. On the negative side, the case has been refinished, and that might be less desirable to a collector. I think 1 to 2 grand is a pretty good idea of it's value. Start high, and be prepared to haggle ;)