Luman Watson tall case clock

ShadyShinju

New User
Aug 17, 2022
Country
Good morning all! I am brand new to online forums and also brand new to tall case clocks, as in, I did not even know cincinnati tall case clocks existed until I stumbled upon one in a thrift shop a few months ago. Now I am obsessed with my clock and am trying to learn as much as possible about it. I have a few questions about it. I am hoping someone will be able to guide me in the right direction...
1. The cabinet is stamped "R. GADDIS" in multiple places. This name has eluded me thus far in any references Ive looked at.
2. The glass door in the hood opens by sliding up through the pediment. Ive found no evidence it has been altered from its original construction. It even has little divots for fingers on the back side of the sliding door.Has anyone seen other contemporaneous clocks with this feature?
20220415_114724.jpg
20220817_081550.jpg
20220409_110722.jpg
20220817_100256.jpg

Thanks in advance for any info anyone can share. And apologies if Ive posted wrong/used the wrong terminology.
Have a great day, everyone!

Reactions: PatH

Jim DuBois

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2008
Magnolia, TX
Country
Region
Nice clock! The sliding glass is a technique I have seen used in a couple of clocks from the midwest. R.Gaddis is not a clockmaker found in my files. So, I suspect he may have been the case maker. Great dial, by the way. There were more than 30 clockmakers making tall clocks in Ohio at about the time your clock was made. Is your case walnut by any chance?

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Welcome to the Forms, and thanks for sharing your clock. Can you tell us a little about the movement of the clock - is it a wood movement? It's wonderful to learn about different makers through people sharing clocks such as yours.

Thanks again,
Pat

ShadyShinju

New User
Aug 17, 2022
Country
Hi there! Yes, it is a wooden
Nice clock! The sliding glass is a technique I have seen used in a couple of clocks from the midwest. R.Gaddis is not a clockmaker found in my files. So, I suspect he may have been the case maker. Great dial, by the way. There were more than 30 clockmakers making tall clocks in Ohio at about the time your clock was made. Is your case walnut by any chance?
Hi there! The movement is
Welcome to the Forms, and thanks for sharing your clock. Can you tell us a little about the movement of the clock - is it a wood movement? It's wonderful to learn about different makers through people sharing clocks such as yours.

Thanks again,
Pat
Hi there! Yes, the movement is a wooden works movement by Luman Watson. Tganks for the reply!

ShadyShinju

New User
Aug 17, 2022
Country
Hi there! Thank you! I believe the case is cherry. The movement is by Luman Watson. I just cant find any info about the case maker. Im wondering if he did not make many clock cases or perhaps specialized in other types of case goods. Thank you for the reply! Have a great day!

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
Good morning all! I am brand new to online forums and also brand new to tall case clocks, as in, I did not even know cincinnati tall case clocks existed until I stumbled upon one in a thrift shop a few months ago. Now I am obsessed with my clock and am trying to learn as much as possible about it. I have a few questions about it. I am hoping someone will be able to guide me in the right direction...
1. The cabinet is stamped "R. GADDIS" in multiple places. This name has eluded me thus far in any references Ive looked at.
2. The glass door in the hood opens by sliding up through the pediment. Ive found no evidence it has been altered from its original construction. It even has little divots for fingers on the back side of the sliding door.Has anyone seen other contemporaneous clocks with this feature? View attachment 721777 View attachment 721778 View attachment 721779 View attachment 721780
Thanks in advance for any info anyone can share. And apologies if Ive posted wrong/used the wrong terminology.
Have a great day, everyone!
FOUND IN A THRIFT SHOP!!

A rather nice ww tall case.

Lumen Watson was a prolific maker of tall case clocks. He also made some interesting ww shelf clocks.

Sadly, you're not a member of the NAWCC or I would suggest doing a Bulletin search which would yield info.

I would strongly suggest doing a search of the Forums. There are postings about Mr. Watson.

A great source of information available to you is the truly wonderful, well researched and profusely illustrated book about tall case clocks by Philip Morris, Jr (one L):

morris book cover.jpg

Here's more info on ordering:

Philip E. Morris - American Wooden Tall Clocks - Author American Wooden Movement Tall Clocks: 1712-1835- Reference Book (heritageparkpublishing.com)

Might find a less expensive used copy on Amazon?

Covers Lumen Watson well including the cases, die stamped signatures, etc. Would be nice to keep a copy with the clock? Considering you bought the clock in a thrift shop, might splurge on the book?

Mr. Morris also contributes to the Forums. Hope he will stop by.

Enjoy your lovely clock.

RM

ShadyShinju

New User
Aug 17, 2022
Country
FOUND IN A THRIFT SHOP!!

A rather nice ww tall case.

Lumen Watson was a prolific maker of tall case clocks. He also made some interesting ww shelf clocks.

Sadly, you're not a member of the NAWCC or I would suggest doing a Bulletin search which would yield info.

I would strongly suggest doing a search of the Forums. There are postings about Mr. Watson.

A great source of information available to you is the truly wonderful, well researched and profusely illustrated book about tall case clocks by Philip Morris, Jr (one L):

View attachment 721834

Here's more info on ordering:

Philip E. Morris - American Wooden Tall Clocks - Author American Wooden Movement Tall Clocks: 1712-1835- Reference Book (heritageparkpublishing.com)

Might find a less expensive used copy on Amazon?

Covers Lumen Watson well including the cases, die stamped signatures, etc. Would be nice to keep a copy with the clock? Considering you bought the clock in a thrift shop, might splurge on the book?

Mr. Morris also contributes to the Forums. Hope he will stop by.

Enjoy your lovely clock.

RM
I do own that book as well as about 5 others I snapped up right after I discovered the clock. :‐) The books have been very educational, including long-forgotten information about the history of the Ohio Territory. I believe I know who the original owner of the clock was, as well as the maker of the movement, of course. Now to try to discover who R. Gaddis was....I get chills just thinking about how much of American history my clock has witnessed. Fascinating! Thank you so much for the reply! Take care!

Reactions: bochisholm and PatH

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sara.fagan73
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller