• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Lucca Box Clock with double gong and one hammer?

Dave T

NAWCC Member
Dec 8, 2011
NC
Country
Region
What's going on here boys? Not sure who Lucca was, but this clock only has one strike hammer and a gong with two coils?
How does that work?

IMG_20221208_145104878[1].jpg IMG_20221208_145028518[1].jpg

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
What's going on here boys? Not sure who Lucca was,
Lucca was a tradename of Regulateurfabrik Badenia von Adolf Hummel Sohn, in Freiburg (in Breisgau).

The following is a 1907 advertisement from Badenia:

1670532392118.png

Courtesy Doug Stevenson.

Regards.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave T

NAWCC Member
Dec 8, 2011
NC
Country
Region
Thanks but what about the double gong issue?
ie: How do I get a proper sounding strike?
Is the the wrong hammer?

JimmyOz

Feb 21, 2008
Gold Coast Qld
Country
Region
Maybe the hammer has been changed? The arm looks a bit thick and the head looks like it came off a chiming clock,
Just take off one of the gongs?

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Not that unusual for German clocks. These usually sound really good. Willie X

J. A. Olson

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
The hammer on your clock looks like a replacement. A bit on the small side compared to what was normally used during the period.
Seek out a wider hammer head and leather tip so it can strike both coils together.

Double coil gongs were sometimes offered by the German manufacturers as an alternative to a single coil strike.
Two coils of nearly identical size and sound are struck together to create a deeper, more intense sound compared to one coil.
They may have two separate hammers striking each coil, or one fat hammer striking both together.

The first known examples of such a device was the VFU/Gustav Becker 'Dom Gong', introduced in 1903.
Advertising shows the recurring concept of two bells being struck together, accompanied by cathedral imagery.

GB Dom Gong.jpg Domgong.jpg Gustav Becker Dom-Gong 1903 father time.jpg

As soon as the Dom Gong was a success, other clockmakers tried their own version of the same concept.
Another example: the Junghans 'Germania Gong' shown with one or two coils.

Junghans Germania Gong.jpg

So what do some of these fine instruments sound like? A couple recordings from the 'Tube:

Reactions: Dave T and Tatyana

Tatyana

Jan 2, 2016
Saint Petersburg
Country
Close serial number, wide insert in the hammer. The movement was made at the Muller-Schlenker factory before the WWI or immediately after.

The Lucca signature is often found on the movements of Muller-Schlenker and Tobias Bauerle.
I also met the signature of this factory (Adolf Hummel) on the movements of Carl Werner and Kienzle.

s-l1600 (4).jpg s-l1600 (10).jpg s-l1600 (7).jpg

Regards
Tatyana

Reactions: Dave T

Dave T

NAWCC Member
Dec 8, 2011
NC
Country
Region
Same case! I need to find a proper hammer somewhere. Looks like this one is missing the trim around the glass on the bottom half of the door.
IMG_20221208_210418962[1].jpg IMG_20221208_210404352[1].jpg

Just figured it out. Someone has installed the bottom glass and wood frame backward. The trim is on the inside! And on top of that, I think it's plexiglass.
Other alterations. The two thumb screws that hold the seat board are different lengths. And one is too long and interferes with the spring barrel.
So, evidently someone has replaced the hammer with the wrong one too?

IMG_20221208_210418962[1].jpg IMG_20221208_210404352[1].jpg

Last edited:

Dave T

NAWCC Member
Dec 8, 2011
NC
Country
Region
Well, this thread is quickly turning into more of the clock repair section than general clock discussions.
Anyway, I turned the strike hammer sideways, and have it adjusted to nicely strike both gongs. It's brass on wire, but sounds okay to me. I can always put a pad on the side of it where it hits.

The main question now is adjusting the beat on this movement. It has adjustable pallets, which don't appear to ever have been tampered with, but I'm not sure. And I don't want to go down that road if I can avoid it.
So, I'm wondering how to get it in beat without having the clock case tilted to the right. The leader on the anchor was twisted and I straightened it out which helped somewhat. But the anchor bridge doesn't appear to be adjustable, but the screws holding it are a bit gnarled.
I've only dealt with one other Muller Schlenker and don't remember dealing with that issue.
You can see here how much off it is.

Dave T

NAWCC Member
Dec 8, 2011
NC
Country
Region
The main question now is adjusting the beat on this movement.
Okay, It's been so long since I worked on an Vulliamy Deadbeat, I forgot that the anchor has an adjustable verge.
The clock hangs straight now!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JBowers
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Private Label Watch by Kent