Lubricating jewels in mainspring barrel - oil or grease?

Discussion in 'Watch Repair' started by Mark UK, Mar 30, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. NAWCC Login Function is Not Working. If you know your username and password for the Message Board, you can log in using the small login link at the upper right.
  1. karlmansson

karlmansson Registered User

Apr 20, 2013
    #21 karlmansson, Apr 1, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
    I just checked with a pro friend of mine, you're good :). Center wheels on pocket watches should be an excellent use for a high pressure, slow movement oil.

The reason I got confused was because I re-watche done of Mark Lovicks videos where he uses a deep blue grease. I thought that would be the colour of your HP1300. The deep blue one is 9501 and your, red one is HP1300. 9501 is listed as a grease and HP 1300 as an oil. But it works for sliding applications as well. My friend tells me 9501 would be better on surfaces that separate an re-engage, such as clutch wheel teeth.