• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Lovely 400-day Miniature

boblalux

Nov 13, 2013
Friesland, Germany
Country
P1020722.jpg P1020723.jpg P1020725.jpg
Just bought this lovely little pin-pallet miniature, whose I think is Plate 1406C (KS) in the Terwilliger 'bible'. The back plate measures 4.35 x 5.2mm and has the strange KS symbol, BUT no other name as in the Plate. Anyone know anything about this clock? Is it a Kern & Söhne clock manufactured in Germany? When?

I did not know that there were pin-pallet escapements in 400 day clocks. The last pin-pallets I experienced were in a saw-teeth clock, on which I spent dozens of hours unsuccessfully trying to re-drill and reset the pins. Hope these don't break or bend!

To set the beat, I must know if the pallet anchor is fitted on the arbor with friction, ie I must hold the arbor and turn the pallet anchor.
Sorry - all these questions.

Sad to find that it works a dream, although it arrived through the UK and French postal services, well-packed and pendulum arrested - was hoping to have to mend it!!!

Last edited:

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
To set the timing, you loosen the top screw and move the holder for the top block of the suspension spring left or right. It's in beat when the overswing (after the 'tick' is equal on each side.

Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member
Jun 1, 2007
Twistringen
Country
Region
Please post some pics from the side to show anchor and escape whel.As for the pin pallet anchor:If the pins look right and straight/standing perpendicularly to the "body" of the anchor: leave them allone.Concerning beat setting:This works different on anniversaries than on other clocks! Beat setting in these means that lock and drop on these have to be equal both when the pendulum turns clockwise and counterclockwise.To achieve this,the whole suspension unit has to be adjusted by turning the top block in its saddle with the suspended pendulum in either direction-in verry small increments-until the "tic" is equal to the "toc" and the overswing of the pendulum-after tic and toc- is equal in both directions.In Your case,the saddle is fixed by a skrew on top that has to be loosened before You can turn the saddle.Take care not to spoil Your beat setting result when fastening the skrew again.It´s a game of "stare and compare" that can take some time.Come back with questions/problems if You have!
Burkhard

boblalux

Nov 13, 2013
Friesland, Germany
Country
To set the timing, you loosen the top screw and move the holder for the top block of the suspension spring left or right. It's in beat when the overswing (after the 'tick' is equal on each side.
Sorry, of course that's the standard way - being a pin pallet got me a bit mixed up. The top screw it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stademock
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Steven Thornberry