Lovejoy & Co. wooden works

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by Gary J, Feb 23, 2003.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Gary J

Gary J Guest

I have a weight driven alarm clock that I have tried to research and had no luck. It has wooden plates and a bell which sounds the alarm. The papers in the clock show LOVEJOY & CO., Clock Makers, Gap Road, WIMBELDON. Any info as to age of clock or when this company was in business would be appreciated. Thanks, Gary

2. Gary J

Gary J Guest

I have a weight driven alarm clock that I have tried to research and had no luck. It has wooden plates and a bell which sounds the alarm. The papers in the clock show LOVEJOY & CO., Clock Makers, Gap Road, WIMBELDON. Any info as to age of clock or when this company was in business would be appreciated. Thanks, Gary

3. chasbaz

chasbaz Guest

Hi Gary,
    You have a clock made in the Black Forest of Germany for the British market. This is the type commonly referred to as a postman's alarm. If the dial is wood it is likely to be around 1890-1900 but if it is glass it will be later - these clocks were made up to some time in the 1920's. I have seen [and have] several of these Lovejoy clocks, so they must have sold quite a lot of them. Lovejoy is just the seller of course but I don't know their dates of operation. Wimbledon is of course a London suburb, famous for tennis!
    Best wishes,

chasbaz

4. Gary J

Gary J Guest

Chasbaz,
    Thank you very much for the reply. It was a great help.
    Gary