Louis XIV watch hands

Quinn

Feb 18, 2021
Country
I have with interest read all the watch hand making threads on this forum, and marveled at Graham's art and various others with expert knowledge, and also watched Roger Smith's videos.

One thing that I was curious about is how the Louis XIV type watch hands were made - they seem to have a relief, I'm not sure if it's the right word - they are not flat. Same with the Waltham "oak leaf" type hands (no idea what a pro might call these).

Does anyone have insight? Thanks!

svenedin

NAWCC Member
Jan 28, 2010
Surrey
Country
Region
Yes they do have a relief. I look forward to hearing the answer! Are they cast perhaps? Or hammered against a former?

Reactions: Quinn

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi Quinn,

One thing that I was curious about is how the Louis XIV type watch hands were made - they seem to have a relief, I'm not sure if it's the right word - they are not flat.
I don't know for certain, but I suspect that the earlier examples, actually produced in the Louis XIV period, were pierced out and filed or cut with gravers to their final shape, whereas the later ones look as though they were die-stamped, perhaps from roughly cast blanks.

Regards,

Graham

Reactions: Quinn and svenedin

Quinn

Feb 18, 2021
Country
Thanks Graham as always for you wisdom. I knew if anyone might know it would be you. I am thinking of the hands that accompany the fancy dials on the Elgins and Walthams, I am suspecting early 1900s.

Skutt50

Mar 14, 2008
Gothenburg
Country
I am suspecting early 1900s.
By then I am pretty sure they were mass produced. Most likely die-stamped. One could buy assortments of these and they are not uncommon on pocket watches here where I am. (Sweden)

I was given some boxes of newly produced Pocket Watch hands a while ago but even if they have the basic appearance of Louis XIV they look and handle terribly. I prefer to use the hands made early/mid 1900:eds and they are not that hard to find on auction sites......

Reactions: Quinn

Quinn

Feb 18, 2021
Country
Thanks Skutt. I seem to be largely attracted to fancy pocket watch dials, most of which come with the fancy dials it appears. Although I've yet to find a catalog that describes those dials in detail. I suspect those with blue hands are replaced but that is just a guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fed1984
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre