Louis Matile Watch

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by DamonBA, Nov 1, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. DamonBA

DamonBA New Member

Nov 1, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hello everyone,

I'm DamonBA and first I'd like to say this group is a wonderful resource that I've only just discovered.

I'm a new collector with only 2 watches to my name, and one of those I've just recently inherited and I'd like to learn more about it.

I hope this is the right place to ask. It's a Louis Matile Pocket watch, seems to be in really good condition, hardly a blemish and winds and keeps time well. Enamel on both faces, the front face being that of a chubby lady, and the back is solid blue with floral/strange designs. The lady has 3 actual diamonds in her hair.

This is the only website I found that had any info, it seems Matile watches are quite obscure? Sorry for my amateur demeanor, but I'm really just new into this. And thanks in advance for any info you could provide.

2. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Welcome to the board.

There are lots of people here who are very knowledgeable and will be glad to help. However, in order to do so, it would be really good if you could post clear, sharp photos of your watch. Post photos of the case (both inside and out), any hallmarks or maker's marks and then also clear photos of the movement itself.

I am sure there will be folks who will be glad to help you.

JTD

3. DamonBA

DamonBA New Member

Nov 1, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks so much for the welcome.
    I hope these pictures are clear enough for the time being.
    I’ve understood after some reading that “Locle” is the town where many renowned watchmakers worked.

CB6F7A22-AB3D-4381-9880-7570D545FE62.jpeg 14089A93-4292-47A6-8FC3-CE29997DA938.jpeg F83D40DF-E766-4128-85BC-845398CEBFDA.jpeg 99B12F0E-DE77-460F-BEA8-C7271939ADD1.jpeg 87AE404F-B61C-4142-85B1-E91CD2DF7BAE.jpeg DE5FF7CA-3760-4C66-B9E5-CE844AB37070.jpeg

viclip likes this.
  4. jess tauber

jess tauber Registered User

Dec 24, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
  5. DamonBA

DamonBA New Member

Nov 1, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thank you Jess, those search links are interesting and useful. I’ve been online almost all day and slowly realizing this may be a really unique piece considering the condition. I saw a similar piece with a child in an orchard and mountains which is really much more interesting, but now I’d like to know if this lady was painted as a commission or just a random likeness..

6. LloydB

LloydB Registered User

Feb 24, 2006
    Male
    Retired
    La Crosse, Wisconsin's West Coast
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Likely you've seen these...other Henri Montandon
    (retailer) timepieces:
    "henri montandon" jeweler - Google Search

7. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    I would say she is just 'a random likeness', not any one in particular.

Very few things are.

JTD

8. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The watch movement is fairly generic 1850's Geneva type but it has an archaic lever.

It is not the original movement. The case cuvette is marked Montandan, who was also a good maker. They made the case. The case is very fine. The portrait is probably a commission and was copied fro m an original portrait

My guess is that the original movement needed an expensive repair and it was changed out.

Keith R... likes this.