Louis Leroy 5-Minute Trip Repeater

Ethan Lipsig

NAWCC Gold Member
Jan 8, 2006
Pasadena
Country
Region
I recently acquired a Louis Leroy 5-minute trip repeater. I don't recall ever seeing a similar watch. If any of you have seen watches like this or know who made the ebauche or movement, I would like to hear from you.

If you aren't familiar with trip repeaters, which are uncommon, they are repeaters with a main-spring powered repeat function. This power often is supplied by a separate mainspring that is wound in tandem when the regular mainspring is wound, but my trip repeater only has one mainspring as far as I know. In contrast, the usual repeater's repeat function is powered by a spring that would by triggering the repeat mechanism. To activate the repeat function on my trip repeater, you depress the button on the crown. It is easier to activate than the conventional repeat functions with which I am familiar.

If you aren't familiar with 5-minute repeaters, they are repeaters that first ring the number of hours and then ring the number of 5-minute intervals. I don't know anything about repeater mechanics, but I suspect that 5-minute repeaters probably are not more mechanically complicated than quarter-hour repeaters, but they are relatively uncommon. My 5-minute repeater seems only to have one gong and probably only one hammer, meaning that all the rings sound the same (but a pause after the hours have been rung denotes that the rings that follow are 5-minute rings). In contrast, my minute repeaters and most that I have seen have two gongs and two hammers, so that quarter hour rings sound different (usually they are "ding-dongs") than hour rings and both sound different than minute rings.

Attachments

John Pavlik

NAWCC Member
Dec 30, 2001
Green Bay, Wi
Country
Region
Ethan, a bit different ! Wasn't LeRoy somewhat of a well known name in French watch making? I do not have my reference's at hand to look up this particular name, but the name goes a k to the mid 1700's .. Interesting no seconds either.... I'm still looking for a Patek trip minute repeat... difficult to find...for sure, but there has to be one out there with my name on it, somewhere ! :)

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi Ethan,

...but I suspect that 5-minute repeaters probably are not more mechanically complicated than quarter-hour repeaters,...
I think the main difference is in the number of steps on the snail underneath the hour wheel; four in a quarter repeater but twelve in your 5-minute instrument.

Regards,

Graham

dshumans

NAWCC Member
Sep 17, 2009
I have seen about 5 of these over the last 5 years or so on eBay, all of different brand names but identical movements, all with one gong and the crescent moon shaped cutout. Looks like it's in great shape.

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi John,

Julien was his father, and was clockmaker to Louis XV. Pierre's elder brother was also Julien. There's a lot more in the Wikipedia link.

Regards,

Graham

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ravens Watch
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller