Louis Boname French Black Marbel/Slate Mantel Clock

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by electricjet, Nov 11, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. electricjet

electricjet Registered User

Sep 17, 2014
    Male
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #1 electricjet, Nov 11, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    Greetings Gents. I hope you are all well.

Fell in love with the looks of this mantel clock and had provide a new home for a lonely clock ;)

If you kind folks out there with the knowledge would enlighten me with some thoughts, pointers, information and possible a book, I sure would appreciate it.

I would love to find some information about the model name, approx. age, etc.

The clock is running and keeps time very nicely. The brass bell sounds on the 1/2 hour and hour.

Known issues:

- The original key is missing => does anybody know how a time/clock appropriate key would look like and where I could find one

- Some of the brass hardware has been bent => is there a safe way to "restore" it's original shape?

- The black of the marbel/slate has become dull =>
    I found some information to revive the black of the either marble or slate with two products from England:
    "Marblack Slate Blacking" or "Curator Slate Blacking for Clocks" => what procedure would any of you recommend?

- The front right bottom "red" marble inlay has been replaced at one point of time => can anybody refer a business/individual who could "fabricate" a better looking replacement piece?

- The dial has a very small chip on the edge of the number 5 (hardly noticeable)

- It suspect that the movement has probably never been given the attention/service it needs. => can anybody refer me to a clock maker who has the experience to clean/overhaul this movement?

Thank you for your help.

Respectfully,

Yves

LB 4.jpg LB 7.jpg LB 1.jpg Louis Boname Mantel clock.jpg LB 3.jpg IMG_1876.jpeg

2. new2clocks

new2clocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yves,

The following thread has some information on Boname.

HTH

My New French mantle clock

Regards.

3. Ticktocktime100

Ticktocktime100 Registered User

Nov 11, 2012
    Student
    France
    Country Flag:
    Hi,

You have a nice French clock, circa 1880-1900. To the best of my knowledge, Louis Boname wasn’t a maker, which makes me think that he was the retailer of the clock. Are there any other indications on the stamp? It could well be a Japy Frères movement, or another manufacturer, as several companies made these clocks at the time. For that reason, they are often termed « mouvements de Paris », as they were mostly produced in Paris and the surrounding areas before being exported. As nice a clock it is, my honest opinion is that it is not worth having the movement and case restored by a professional, as this would outweigh the value of the clock by some margin. However, it would be an excellent project to learn clock repair with if you so wish, many people here would be happy to help. You could always try sourcing a marble case from Ebay in regard to replacing the piece you mention.

Regards.

4. Ticktocktime100

Ticktocktime100 Registered User

Nov 11, 2012
    Student
    France
    Country Flag:
    I see new2clocks replied as I was typing!

5. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice Kloch… Hope I look that good when I’m that old

If it were mine, I would check out a local granite countertop companies And see if they might have something that would match for that replaced piece

And, my rule of thumb applies… If you don’t know when it was last serviced, it needs it! I would check out the repair for him and send private messages to people there who sounds nice to deal with and confident… And ask them what they would charge