• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Lorch Watchmakers Lathe - Tool Post Details required

Candix

NAWCC Member
Dec 4, 2009
Australia
Country
Region
Hi -
I have a Lorch Junior Watchmakers lath complete with the compound cross slide but without the 'Tool Post' - This lathe is the one where the motor and lathe is attached as one unit on a cast base -

Have tried to purchase a 'Tool Post' on ebay for a long time without any success -

Can anyone provide me with the dimensional details please so that I can make a 'Tool Post' on one of my other lathes -

Regards Brian - Australia

Dushan Grujich

Jun 20, 2003
Bondi
geocities.ws
Country
Region
Hi -

Can anyone provide me with the dimensional details please so that I can make a 'Tool Post' on one of my other lathes -
G'Day Brian,

Shouldn't be a problem. Can You tell us what kind of tool-post would You like to have, lantern, QC or something else?

BTW, You could post an image of the lathe so that we can see it.

Cheers

Dushan

Kevin Scott

Aug 2, 2011
Country
Brian, are you looking for a tool post -holder that attaches to your compound slide?

Or the tool holder that holds a cutter - graver that is used freehand on the extended platform of your Lorch Junior lathe?

The second seems to a neat system combining the advantages of the hand held graver with the precision of the compound slide. Have you used the system, ( assuming you have it, and are looking for a tool holder for your crossslide) and what do you think of it? I think the system is unique to the Lorch Junior, but have thought of trying to adapt it to my 8mm ww lathe.

I have a catalog picture of the free hand tool holder if you need it.

Per G

Jan 9, 2007
Brian,

Rereading your post I realize you're probably looking for the "Stichelstock D.P." toolholder for freehand turning.
I only used mine a couple of times, I am too used to the hand graver to be really comfortable with it.
Mine is for the Lorch Geneva lathe, used along with a steel plate fixed where the T-rest usually goes, so you'll have to modify it for the greater centre height of the Junior:

Foot 34.75 by 7.2 mm
Upright 14.2 mm dia., threaded part M9 x 1.0, milled slot 3 mm wide

Height adjuster knurled nut 13 mm O.D., M9 x 1.0, 8 mm thick. Hardened and blued.
Tool clamp 13 mm O.D., 5.5 mm thick. slotted 3 mm wide, 2.7 mm deep. Hardened and blued.
Knurled cap lock nut, dimensions similar to the height adjuster nut.
Tool bit 3 mm square.

Attachments

Last edited:

Candix

NAWCC Member
Dec 4, 2009
Australia
Country
Region
Hi Dushan,
Many thanks for your reply - I actually want to replicate an exact copy of the original Lorch Tool Post - this is the one that fits into the 'Compound Cross Slide' - Am not sure the size of the cutting tool that fits the original ie: 1/8" or 3/16" square section -
I have all the other attachments including the 'Stichelstock DP' free hand tool holder -

I attach an image of the original lathe brochure showing the tool holder with a tool already inserted - also a dimensional drawing of the cavity within the cross slide for the tool holder to fit - However I would like to duplicate this holder as exact to the original as possible to keep the whole thing 'original' - So would like dimension detail to replicate - I have tried ebay for a long time to source one but without any success -
My email address is - candix@bigpond.com - if this is any use -
Regards and Thanks Brian - Australia Lorch Junior 3.jpg

StephanG

Jun 24, 2007
Australia
Country
I have a toolpost exactly like the one pictured which came with a set of Derbishire slides I aquired. Uses 5mm tool steel.
It is not marked so might be what you are looking for.
Fits a 6mm t slot and has the same shape with a bolt with a bar to tighten.

Happy to provide a picture of the bits but can't guarantee the height will be right for your lathe. ( you could adjust to suit )
It is adjustable by about 2mm.

Candix

NAWCC Member
Dec 4, 2009
Australia
Country
Region
Hi Steve,
I did reply to you a couple of days ago - but I can't see my reply within this thread - Maybe it just didn't go through -

I'm not sure if you want to sell this tool post - but you might let me know if it is a sale of if you can provide dimensional details - It is a lantern style - as shown in the picture I posted
Regards Brian - Australia

StephanG

Jun 24, 2007
Australia
Country
Not for sale but hope this helps

post 005.jpg post 001.jpg post 002.jpg post 003.jpg post 004.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jabberwalky