Lorch Schmidt 'Triumph' Mandrel

Discussion in 'Horological Tools' started by gmorse, Jun 26, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi,

I've just acquired an accessory which I've been after for some time, a headstock mandrel for my 6mm Geneva pattern lathe. Although it was probably made before WWI and some of the plating is a little spotty, it functions perfectly, with very clean flat clamps and good tight bearings. It did cost a little more than I paid for the complete lathe, but that was probably around 20 years ago, so I think it's worth it.

Lorch Schmidt 'Triumph' Mandrel Headstock 2.JPG

Regards,

Graham

2. karlmansson

karlmansson Registered User

Apr 20, 2013
    Doctor
    Linköping, Sweden
    Country Flag:
    Congratulations!

I have one just like it but mine is missing the knob for the plunger.

It is a really useful tool for boring out worn bushings and achieving uprightness. I hope to get some use out of mine for actual plate manufacturing further on as well.

Is yours right or left hand?

Regards
    Karl

3. wefalck

wefalck Registered User

Mar 29, 2011
    Male
    Geochemist (Consultant)
    Paris
    Country Flag:
    The one on the picture is for having the headstock on the left, as the flat is behing. Had one exactly like this, with a brass disc, but it was for having the headstock to the right. At some stage I was able to obtain a left-sided one, but with a plated cast iron disc, which doesn't look quite as nice and has less momentum due the difference in the specific density betwenn brass and iron.