• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

loose sweep seconds hand

Doug Davies

May 23, 2006
After a few days of running, the sweep seconds hand on my watch (Hamilton 748 if it matters) started hitting the minute hand. I figured the hand was working its way slowly onto the arbor as it sat dial up. Sure enough, placed dial down overnight the hand fell off. According to Fried, tightening can be done by squeezing the post a bit in a pin vise. Any thoughts on this or other methods? Also, does anyone happen to know the diameter if I want to order a replacement hand? I guess I could mic the arbor, but I hate to pull the hands and dial off again.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

burnz

Inactive User
Jan 24, 2006
Country
I don't know the size but----I have used the pin vise technique before with ok results.

It is a very delicate step with the absolute "smallest" amount of tightening in the vice. It can always be tightened a little more in steps.

If you can find a small enough wire that will slide through the tube it could help prevent crushing the tube.. Too small a wire will not help. A wire that just slides through (almost the inner diameter of the tube) is ideal.

It will take very little movement to make the tube tight enough to fit .

Over tightening of the tube will give a whole new set of problems. :( :bang:

Cary Hurt

NAWCC Member
Dec 16, 2005
Country
Region
Doug,

If you have access to a lathe, I've had good luck using an appropriately sized wire collet to do the tightening. Just mount the tube of the hand in the collet (making sure the jaws are on the tube, and not up on the rivet) and tighten gently using the drawbar. I find this gives me better control than the pinvise method. As Doug said, it takes very little movement to provide the needed resistance.

Good luck,

Cary

Doug Davies

May 23, 2006
Thanks for your replies. I can see how a collet would be a much better shape to compress the tube. Unfortunately, the only lathe I have is an old Unimat with a 3-jaw chuck. Not much use in watch repair. I'll give the pin vise method a try, but go really slowly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndavidcham
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-