loose roller table

Al Breguet

Jun 4, 2007
del.icio.us
If the roller is too loose on the staff and it can't be fixed with a three sided punch, is there any way to get a roller to stay?

Is there a technique for roughening up the metal on the staff in some uniform way, or something else?

jim miller

NAWCC Member
Aug 15, 2002
Dave,
If the roller table is not too loose you can make a paste with oil stone powder and oil . Smear it into the hole in the roller table and drive it onto the staff. Wash off the oil residue and the table whould be centered on the staff and tight.

FredWJensen

Feb 1, 2007
Sometimes this caked on stuff comes loose, even Fried states that. I don't condone it but if you can't find a new roller or proper staff, you can try using removable loctite. If you mess around to much with the roller by punching it it can become off center and you can damage it providing a bigger problem. Removable loctite will be easily removable in the future by normal roller removing operations.

FredWJensen

Feb 1, 2007
Nowadays when we think we have an exact replacement staff the rollers still may be either too loose or too tight. There is a real art at fitting rollers. Too tight a roller can cause problems too.

Don Dahlberg

NAWCC Member
Aug 31, 2000
The problem with most attempts to attach a loose roller is that you cannot get it concentric with the staff and level. That is why the hair method is not good. If the roller does not rotate symmetricly, the safety dart will not work properly. It will not protect on one side and will retard the balance on the other side.

So using the abrasive or Loc-tite method at least gives you a shot at getting the roller centered and level. There is very little tolerance for the roller being off center or tilted. As others have said, these are methods of last resort or temporary repair.

I never install a staff until I have checked the roller and balance hole jewel fit. The roller should slide on the staff and stop about 1/3 the way from the roller seat, so that you only have to press it on the last third of the way with the staking set. If it sits much higher than that, you may split the roller when you drive it into its seat. If it the roller goes to the bottom without force, it will not hold. The hole jewels should sit on the pivots and tilt about 5 degrees.

If the staff is too fat at the roller seat or the pivots, you can turn it down. If it is too small in either location, you look for another staff.

Don

Al Breguet

Jun 4, 2007
del.icio.us
Shellac would be a bad idea because then the shellac holding the roller jewel in place would melt too, and you can't have that thing any way but straight.

FredWJensen

Feb 1, 2007
Bill V.

There is a tendency among newer generation watch repairers to replace shellac with UV curing adhesive. They use this for jewel setting, crystal mounting and conceivable this could be used to hold on a loose roller. The only problem is that down the road a new watch repairer would not know this and could damage delicate parts trying to remove them in the normal way. This is why the removable loctite and grit/oil method is better because it allows for disassemble using traditional methods.
Don is 100 correct, that a roller should be trial fit before the staff is installed because at this time we can find another staff, roller,or turn the staff down.
Real watchmaking/repair is really an art form and takes a lifetime to develop the necessary feel/knack for how all these tiny parts go together.
True there are many beginners and hobbyists that can do cleanings and simple repairs but they have not yet gotten the real feel of these tiny parts fit together.

Jack Kurdzionak

NAWCC Member
Aug 30, 2004
It has been said that a measure of a watchmaker's experience is inversely proportional to the amount of hair upon his head. Jack Kurdzionak
Journeyman said:
If I get a loose roller I pluck a hair from my head or beard thread through hole in roller and try again.
Peter

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ememess
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre