loose roller table

tracker

Aug 15, 2007
Country
Region
I have just replaced the balance staff on a size 12 illinois pocket Burlington and now the roller table sets loose on the balance staff. Is there a way to tighten the roller ? maybe by staking the hole with a punch?

Chris Radek

NAWCC Member
Apr 13, 2014
Lincoln, NE, USA
timeguy.com
Country
Sorry, there's no good way to do that. You will need to find or make a staff that fits. Always check all diameters before riveting a staff into place, because the riveting causes wear and tear on the balance arms.

Dave Coatsworth

Senior Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Business
NAWCC Fellow
Sponsor
Feb 11, 2005
Camarillo, CA
www.daveswatchparts.com
Country
Region
It's always a good idea to check the roller table diameter on the staff before staking it on the balance as there isn't much that can be done after the fact. Roller tables are usually too hard to punch the hole closed. Your best bet is to get another staff. You can always ask your supplier to check the diameter before sending. Some may do this, some may not.

pocketsrforwatches

NAWCC Member
Feb 13, 2008
Ticonderoga, NY
Visit site
Country
Region
This may not be the best way and there is a chance of splitting a roller table (although I have never split one), but it does work. A very light tap on the side going toward the shoulder of the staff will produce enough grip if the roller table hole is only slightly too large. You can also rotate the punch and place six small burrs if necessary. The picture comes from the K&D book titled "Staking Tools and How To Use Them"

Roger

1611415793651.png

Skutt50

Mar 14, 2008
Gothenburg
Country
If it is very close to fit you can also roughen the balance staff by rolling it betweeen two files. The files will create a rougher surface that might be enough to hold the roller table. Similar as when the center shaft on a key set watch is too loose.....

Jim Haney

NAWCC Member
Sep 21, 2002
Decatur, TN.
Country
Region
A very light tap on the side going toward the shoulder of the staff will produce enough grip if the roller table hole is only slightly too large. You can also rotate the punch and place six small burrs if necessary.

Yes, As Rick has stated above,usually this will cause the table to shatter or break.

Most tables are very brittle and will shatter.

Hamilton, maybe others I am not familial with, made some tables out of a copper colored metal that this would work on, however you would have to know the difference...............

Paul_S

NAWCC Member
Mar 27, 2015
North Carolina
Country
For future staffing, I'll second the notion that "prevention is the cure" and "measure twice, staff once." Much of the success of replacing balance staffs comes from measuring the parts before starting, such as if the new staff's pivots fit the balance hole jewels, proper endshake, and if the roller is too tight or loose.

Rollers for that watch are not too hard to find if you wanted to try (very light!) burring with a staking set. I've seen a lot of roller tables that have those markings. The staking tool book by Luchina and Perkins has good guidance on how to do this sort of thing.

As an aside, some rollers are now too big for the correct staff because someone long ago reamed it.

DoughBoyWatches

Jan 5, 2021
Country
I would hate to re-staff if i was in your position so i say find a donor that fits, was the staff NOS genuine illinois? if so you may be able to find a donor, just dont rely on a NOS even with a part number, BC One thing I hate about the old american movements is that they were manufactured with very subtle discrepancies. sometimes a staff with the same part number will have a slightly larger diameter than another of the same part number. it could be .0001 but in the world of friction fitting it makes a world of difference. I ordered 3 staffs for a waltham 1907 all genuine waltham NOS parts with part number right from the old 1900s waltham catalogue and not one of them fit the balance, I went through 8 scrap movements until i found one to fit the staff.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sjammyers
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
NAWCC Forums Rules by Steven Thornberry