Loose pack and sealed movements

fuzz1

Mar 30, 2022
Country
Hi
Just curious to know what is the difference between loose pack and sealed movements that are sold for watches.

Big difference in price.

Are the loose pack movements those that have been rejected from the assembly line? They seem to run fine without issues but puzzled me cause of the big price difference

Thanks

Skutt50

Mar 14, 2008
Gothenburg
Country
From Cousinsuk.com:

Loose Pack Movements

These movements have been supplied from the factory in non-sealed bulk packaging originally destined to be fitted to watch cases for the retail market. Whilst all will be complete and in working order, the lubrication may be subject to normal deterioration during transport and storage and may require some servicing prior to fitting. ETA movements are generally supplied with standard height cannon & hour wheels; however this may vary with "Loose Pack". Some watch movements have complicated functionality and procedures prior to start. Watchmakers must be aware prior to purchasing as this can be mistaken as the movement being faulty.

Swiss Sealed Pack Movements

These movements have been supplied in individual specially sealed packages designed to prevent any deterioration of lubricants and as such can be fitted directly without need of further lubrication or servicing, unless otherwise stated in the manufacturers data sheets.

fuzz1

Mar 30, 2022
Country
Hi
Thank you for the reply.

I think it's not always true though even when you buy from cousins uk. I'm not being argumentative but i noticed the two scenarios

1 i bought loose pack quartz movement that is non serviceable from cousins so no way to change anything in the movement.

2. The loose pack i bought comes strangely dressed. Some with one or two missing hands. Or some with battery in them

Makes me think some loose pack movements are probably ones used for testing maybe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leslie
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Watch Inspectors by Kent