Loop end mainspring slipping off winding arbor

clarke

Oct 25, 2009
Hermosa Beach, CA
Country
I can't for the life of me get the arbor hook to catch on the inside of the mainspring. I've done it successfully before, but not this one. I bend and crimp and reshape until I'm blue in the face, with no success.
Are there any tricks of the trade to make this easier? Or it just more trial and error efforts?
Or should I just use a brand new spring and toss the old one?
c.

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
you should post photos... and make sure you're trying to put it on the right way. if there's enough of an edge, you should be able to catch it.

i've been learning that there's no such thing as looking too closely... got magnification? :)

Bruce Alexander

Sponsor
NAWCC Brass Member
Feb 22, 2010
Country
Region
Is the spring hook on the winding arbor in good shape? I agree with bruce linde. Photos could be helpful.

Last edited:

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Yep. The hook might be the problem. They are not all that hard to make, and you might be fixing to learn how :)
Don't overlook the advise to look at things closely. If you have the spring turned over, it will never catch.

R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
Trappe, Md.
www.greenfieldclockshop.com
Country
Region
Sometimes the problem is the 2nd. coil. There must be some space between the 1st. coil and the 2nd. coil. The hook need to go through the hole, not just start into it. If the 2nd. coil is flat against the 1st. then the hook can't go through the hole far enough to catch.

Picture of the arbor and hook without the spring would help. If the "hook" is more like a peg with a flat top, then sometimes filing the trailing edge so the hook slants upward toward the leading edge, and slightly undercutting the leading edge will held "suck" the hook into the hole in the spring.

RC

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mabailey
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre