Looking to buy

Doovie M.

Apr 24, 2020
Country
Picking up this Boos by Toledo Trading Gum Co. clock for $50. The movement is severely rusted. Is anyone familiar with this clock and will I be able to easily find a replacement movement for it? I believe the movements were made by Ingraham......

Dave

Ralph

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2002
Country
I would toss it in a bucket of Evaporust for a couple of day, and then disassemble it, clean it normally and see where you're at. The end result might be more cosmetic, then preventing it from working.

Ralph

Doovie M.

Apr 24, 2020
Country
I would toss it in a bucket of Evaporust for a couple of day, and then disassemble it, clean it normally and see where you're at. The end result might be more cosmetic, then preventing it from working.

Ralph
Great suggestion, thanks. Where can I get Evaporust?

Dave

Tim Orr

National Membership Chair
Director
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Sep 27, 2008
Boulder CO
Country
Region
Good evening, Dave!

I bought a gallon at Harbor Freight Tools. I am puzzled, however, by the fact that some parts that shouldn't be steel seem covered in rust. Have you taken a magnet to the innards? A lot of it should be brass, which, of course, doesn't rust. Clocks with steel plates are known, but somewhat uncommon.

Best regards!

Tim Orr

Doovie M.

Apr 24, 2020
Country
Good evening, Dave!

I bought a gallon at Harbor Freight Tools. I am puzzled, however, by the fact that some parts that shouldn't be steel seem covered in rust. Have you taken a magnet to the innards? A lot of it should be brass, which, of course, doesn't rust. Clocks with steel plates are known, but somewhat uncommon.

Best regards!

Tim Orr
Picking it up tomorrow and will check. Thanks for the tip.

Dave

Doovie M.

Apr 24, 2020
Country
Oh boy, what did I buy? Upon removing the movement, one of the springs is broken and one of the pins (gear) is bent. See photo. I'd like to put in an Ingraham movement replacement. if I can find one...........

Or should I put it back together and sell it :???:?

PXL_20210419_031536702.jpg

Ralph

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2002
Country
Is it an Ingraham movement? There is no shortage of those.

It might be fun resurrecting that movement, but....

Ralph

Doovie M.

Apr 24, 2020
Country
Is it an Ingraham movement? There is no shortage of those.

It might be fun resurrecting that movement, but....

Ralph
It is Ingraham. I looked around some but havent seen the same configuration. My concern is:
Can the bent gear be straightened or replaced?
Can I find a replacement spring ?

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
There are several threads that include Boos clocks here on the message board. If you search those threads, you might be able to find clues as to the movements that were used.

From the pictures, your case seems to be in good shape when compared to the amount of rust on the movement. Good luck on finding a replacement movement, or restoring the existing one. As Ralph said, if you could provide a picture of the movement, it might be surprising what others might be able to share. I'm looking forward to seeing your clock running. Good luck!

Royce

NAWCC Member
Oct 8, 2018
Houston
Country
Region
It is Ingraham. I looked around some but havent seen the same configuration. My concern is:
Can the bent gear be straightened or replaced?
Can I find a replacement spring ?
The mainspring replacement is not an issue as you can obtain such from any of the clock parts houses. The bent arbor does not appear to me to be salvageable/repairable. I have repaired some really ugly movements and you may be surprised how much you can ultimately easily repair but the thing that bothers me about this one is that it appears to me that this movement has been in some considerable water and begs the question of what else is corroded to the point of needing replacement. It appears to me that the support post that one can see in the photo with the bent arbor, is heavily corroded. If it were mine, I would probably throw it in Evaporust then clean it up a bit and see what you have. As PatH indicated above, you might be surprised what these folks may have stashed in their bone pile in respect to parts and/or movements.

Betzel

NAWCC Member
Dec 1, 2010
Country
Region
Ralph is right, this would be a resurrection. Perhaps not worth it if you were paying another to do the work, but I would give it a shot. It's not impossible to save, just difficult and time consuming. The teeth on wheels and pivots are worn but not yet "crescent shaped." That's when I normally suggest most standard repairs become a stretch.

If you decide it is a bridge too far, a spare movement may be found, but you might still require some parts from this, if the replacement is not complete or is somehow different. Pickle it and save what you can?

It may (or may not) be helpful for an eventual repair, but I have never seen brass turn that brown, even from severe weathering, when it turns more of an olive color after decades in a box in a shed, etc. Usually, I see green leaching from the copper so this is unusual. What do you all think the rusty-looking brown coating on brass plates might be? Brass-plated steel?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Costin
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
NAWCC Online Structure and Operation by Tom McIntyre