• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Looking inside a Verge

Dr. Jon

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
New Hampshire
Country
Region
I recently bought an otoscope. These are made and sold to be inserted in ones ears to assist in wax removal. This is not what I use mine to do. Instead I bought it to look inside watches.

The camera is a pen like shape on a cord about 3mm in diameter with a camera and six fiber optic illumination LEDs. They are remarkably inexpensive.

Here is a close look at an operating verge escapement.

Last edited:

Dr. Jon

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
New Hampshire
Country
Region
It should be pretty easy to do this which I why I will posting more on the horological tools forum

John Matthews

NAWCC Member
Sep 22, 2015
France
Country
Region
Jon - can you post a photograph of the purchase.

Thanks

John

Dr. Jon

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
New Hampshire
Country
Region
It's in horological tools.

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi John,

There's a plethora of these on Amazon, mostly under £20 and plugging into an Android phone, but the common limitation seems to be the low definition and quite limited depth of field. However, for the money it could well have some uses, at least with viewing on a phone the screen quality will be better.

Regards,

Graham

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ACBurke
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent