Looking for watch maker to restore 1914 Waltham pocket watch

Charlie Ryan

NAWCC Member
Dec 10, 2017
Annapolis, MD
Country
Hi All

I have my grandfather's Waltham which is in need of complete restoration including the dial. There's also water damage in the movement.

Can anyone recommend someone?

Thank you

Charlie

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
Send me a Private message and I will give you some referrals

Rob

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
Moving question to the watch repair section for more responses.

Rob

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
Can you post some photos of the damage. I did contact one of the
people I refer people to and I guess it all depends on the amount of water damage.
None of the watch repair people I refer to restore dials but
a replacement dial probably can be fairly easily sourced. This will be an expensive
restoration but since it's a family watch I do understand why you
want to have it repaired.

Rob

John Runciman

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 13, 2003
Seattle, WA
Country
Region
restoration including the dial. There's also water damage in the movement.
pictures really are needed unless you want us to use our imagination and some of us have seen a lot of really bad so that means I can imagine a lot of bad. It's a porcelain dial a lot of those can just be washed even find cracks will come out in the wash if the dial's chipped that would be an issue. But rust anything that resembles visible rust you might end basically with a new movement or somebody cannibalizing a movement for your movements.

DeweyC

NAWCC Member
Feb 5, 2007
Baltimore
www.historictimekeepers.com
Country
Here are some pics. Ratchet wheel is rusted in place but gear train moves. HS is intact.

View attachment 671691 View attachment 671692 View attachment 671693 View attachment 671694 View attachment 671695
Ok. First, it looks like the case has problems. Stem and and crown and I cannot tell if the front bezel is present.

Now for the bad news. From the visible damage, you can expect all steel is destroyed. This means the pinions, the balance and balance spring. Perhaps not; but likely from is shown.

The good news is that most parts can be obtained from a donor movement. But if the balance is destroyed, it must be replaced with one that will have a different serial number than the rest of the movement.

All of this will involve significant costs. The dial damage will respond from being soaked in ammonia or denture cleaner.

The philosophical issue is a what point is it still grandfather's watch? This is a highly personal determination but it should be addressed before spending much money.

Regards,

Dewey

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
Reactions: John Runciman

Ethan Lipsig

NAWCC Gold Member
Jan 8, 2006
Pasadena
Country
Region
Charlie, restoration of your grandfather's watch will be expensive. The restored watch will not be original for the reasons Dewey set forth. If you do not plan to use the watch, it would make more sense to leave the movement as is, and just give the watch a cosmetic overhaul, e.g., clean the dial, etc. The watch then will be a decent looking memento of your grandfather. If you want a working pocket watch, it would be far less expensive to buy one that's already in good working condition. Your grandfather's watch is a 12-size Model 1894 Grade 225. About 550,000 were made. It is not a rare watch or a valuable one, except for its sentimental qualities. I just checked eBay to see what a good example of a watch like it sells for. $66 was all it took to get this one: 1931 Waltham 12s 17j Pocket Watch Running grade 225 model 1894 | eBay.

klokwiz

NAWCC Member
Feb 4, 2009
Annapolis, MD
Country
Region
Charlie,
I see that we are local to each other, if you would like i will give your watch a visual if you wish to have an in-person opinion. Private message me if you would like to do this.
Joe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stevemn
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-