Looking for the production date of my Hamilton Chronometer Model 21.

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by timeless1, Apr 13, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. timeless1

timeless1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi, I have a Hamilton Model 21 ships chronometer and I am seeking to find the production date. The serial number on the dial and the rear plate is 2E12336. Also, directly above the serial number on the rear plate is 'SP.97'; what does this marking represent and lastly if there is any other information someone might have as to who originally purchased this timepiece or which ship it was on. Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think that is after 1955. Are there any special fixtures on the movement? i.e. are the yellow bits contacts of some sort?

3. timeless1

timeless1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Tom, Thank you for your reply! This is my first post on the 'forum' and I am trying to find my way around and excited to see that it works! Yes, there are "special fixtures" on the movement. which do appear to be miniature contacts and some additional screws and washers forming a small 'terminal block'...for attaching wires? I added a picture with a side view of the movement. Do you know what these additional parts were used for?

Attached Files:

4. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The contacts were used to transmit the time over a wire to other instruments. Here is a write up on one that I think is just a bit more complicated that was used in the Cal Tech Seismic lab. http://awco.org/Chronometers/Ham21BC/hamilton_mod_21bc.htm

This one 2E11659 is a little earlier and was sold to Cal Tech in 1955. You serial number is after the last recorded sale at 2E12330. The radium marking on the dial is also unusual on yours.