• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Looking for some opinions on Franke & Groneman movement - Vienna style case?

tracerjack

Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
Since I love the look of this clock, any opinion is welcome, even the not so good ones. Good or bad, I'll still happily keep it. The logo on the back I've traced to Franke & Groneman per Mikrolisk. I'd like anyone's opinion that might narrow the 1890 to 1930 time span a bit. I am also curious about the dial. I've only seen porcelain chapter rings on clocks of this style. The metal chapter ring itself seems to have the same age as the rest of the clock, but I'm surprised it partially covers the edge of the center engraving. The center engraving however does match the bob, so they are a pair. There are two extra screw holes in the backboard. They are the only ones visible but there may be more hidden by the gong holder, so it may not be original. I've removed the gong, which is why it is not in the photo. I must confess the sound of this one grates on my ears. The banging of a metal pie pan came to mind every time I heard it. It is safely stored away. The case is 33 inches long overall and 12 inches wide, so on the smaller side. Without a reference, it appears in the photo to be much larger, which it is not. There are signs of repair which function but need some finishing. What went on the empty post pin above the rack in the front with the wheel shaped shadow puzzles me. I can't think of a function for a wheel in that position. Your comments are appreciated.
franke1.jpg franke dial.jpg franke bob.jpg franke gond holder.jpg franke backplate.jpg franke front.jpg

Last edited:

Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member
Jun 1, 2007
Twistringen
Country
Region
it looks like You lost the gathering pallet, a small piece of metall that sits on the "post" pivot above the rack and advances it step by step when striking.This piece often is secured by a small pin.Look for it in the case or where You stored the clock, otherwise the strike will not work properly. A verry nice and quality clock, congrats!
Burkhard

tracerjack

Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
Thanks, Burkhard, for posting. The gathering pallet arbor has a small fin on it that gathers the rack. It may be someone’s “repair” and not original, but it does work. It strikes properly. I can hear the rack drop at 5 min to the hour, and can also hear the hammer drop the number of the hours on the hour. I’ll have to take a closer look at it to see if it is original. I didn’t pay much attention to it when I was taking photos. I was focused on that empty post.

Yahagi

Dec 16, 2019
Country
Region
A very nice clock.

It does not recognize the Tieschin clocks particularly well. I cannot give the exact date, but it seems to me that your clock was made between 1892 - 1898. Due to the bent structure of the bridge, I think it is closer to the end of this period. Back then, Franke & Gronemann used this signature.
In the following years, this factory was already producing mechanisms with a different signature.

1632469907589.png

tracerjack

Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
Thank you, Yahagi, for the information. I thought I had read somewhere that Franke and Groneman were partners using the F and G initials from 1890 to 1898, but couldn’t find the reference again. For me, 1898 is a perfectly fine date.

Yahagi

Dec 16, 2019
Country
Region
There may be some information on the subject of the shield.
Such shields (engraving) were typical of Franke & Groneman. They were usually repeated on the pendulum as well. But porcelain dials were also used by F&G

I've usually seen F&G by weight. Just like yours - it's probably unique.

Below are examples of F&G

1632520713732.png
1632520741918.png
1632520825081.png
1632520886699.png

Reactions: PatH

tracerjack

Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
You have removed my doubts on the chapter ring. It is in the same style as your examples. The clock in the second photo makes me want to silver my dial and polish the brass embellishments. A winter project, I think.

tracerjack

Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
Yes, that is it! How amazing that you have found a print of it. The measurements match perfectly after I was more exact in my handling of the tape measure. I used rather general measurements in my first post. Thank you. Is this page from a catalog of the period or a later book?

Yahagi

Dec 16, 2019
Country
Region
Carl Gronemann catalog from 1904. I think it was also assembled earlier, which was around 1898.

1632762706406.png

tracerjack

Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
I am so glad I posted about this clock. Thank you, Yahagi, for the photos of similar clocks and the catalog page that had my clock. Although I would have kept the clock no matter what I found out, it is very nice to no longer have any doubts about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mishellmcgee
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-