Looking for some help with a 451-050h Hermle movment

Cwb79

Nov 28, 2017
Country
Hello I'm new here and I'm also new to working on clocks. I recently inherited a grandfather clock from a family member. The clock would not run at all when I got it. I watched some YouTube videos and made some minor adjustments and I have it where it is working and chimes but the chime one minute behind. My next problem is it chime on the hour at 15 min skips 30 min then chimes at 45mins. Stamped on the movment is a 81 so I'm guessing that would be the year it was produced? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
The chime timing is a minor issue that can easily be corrected by moving the friction fit bushing in the minute hand. But the other issue - skipping the 1/2 hour is much more difficult, and likely is going to involve some bushing work. You are correct that the movement dates to 1981. That's pretty old for a Hermle. The movement is still made, and is not expensive. Mark Butterworth has them. You'll need the pendulum length. It will be printed on the movement. Give Mark a call at 563-263-6759 and tell him you inquired here.

Reactions: Cwb79

Cwb79

Nov 28, 2017
Country
Thank you very much for the information. I was able to get it to chime at all intervals by spinning a small gear on the front plate a quarter turn. I did do some light dusting and cleaning so I may have caused this or maybe the previous family member that had it. I know the clock sat for years. I'm not sure if that is something that is normal or caused by wear of the movment. But the clock seems to be working for now. I' going to take your advice and call and order a new movment and hopefully the clock will work for years to come. This time we will keep up with the required maintenance. Thank you again for your reply!

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
When you get the new movement, be sure to oil the pivots. Hermle doesn't always get them all :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luc1lle160
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller