Looking for plans for a wood-movement historical recreation

CraigC

Dec 15, 2021
Country
I would like to build a Wood Movement Recreation of a historical clock, like the Connecticut Shelf Clock by Eli Terry. As a beginner builder (16 clocks built so far, one grandfather Hermle 1171) I could really use a detailed set of plans to guide me. Does anyone have a set of plans for historical wooden movement clocks that they can share or point me to?

I will also be building one of the Modern wood movements (skeletonized) as practice but that look is not for me. It will make a great gift and I will get practice on making gears, gain a new source of frustration, and my swear jar retirement fund will get a boost. Win/Win/Win

Let me tell you how much I appreciate this forum, I just discovered this branch (Wood Movement Clocks) and started reading about Eli Terry and that led to learning about how that was a big part of the industrial revolution... How did I not learn about this in school? This forum is a rich source of information and help.

CraigC

Dec 15, 2021
Country
There are a very nice set of movement plans available at Shop (clockandwatchmuseum.org) . Not cheap, but very well done. There are also several case plans also Shop (clockandwatchmuseum.org) Not certain sharing these are in keeping with all our rules here, but one would hope that museum to museum sharing might be forgiven or at least tolerated?
Jim,
That is exactly what I am looking for..... except the price. Whew, $45, need to check with the CEO on that one.

CraigC

Dec 15, 2021
Country
Thank you! I have access to Popular Mechanics through my library. I'll take a look. Thank you!

Peter A. Nunes

Staff member
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2006
Rhode Island
www.cogcounters.org
Country
Region
That’s the first part only But that is the article.
The finest plans ever drawn are by the late, great, George Bruno. They are available from the American Clock & Watch Museum, and from our National Museum in Columbia, PA, I believe. Wonderful drawings, exact measurements, all from a person with phenomenal drawing talent.

Reactions: PatH and Ralph

Ralph

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2002
Country
Jim,
That is exactly what I am looking for..... except the price. Whew, $45, need to check with the CEO on that one.
Hindsight wise, you will probably realize buying the plans were the least painful step of the project. They are excellent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PeterK
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-