looking for origin

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by oreel, Feb 20, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. oreel

oreel Registered User

Aug 25, 2011
    netherlands
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Maybe one of you knows what clockwork this is, dating etc. Somebody asked me if I could fix a clock and I gave the wrong answer :)Anyway w`ll see in due time. On one of the photos there is like an "H" at the bottom side and also a number, 3913 with 5 5 below.
    Looks a German clock clock to me although the outside is more French ?? IMG_1306.JPG IMG_1307.JPG IMG_1308.JPG IMG_1309.JPG IMG_1311.JPG IMG_1312.JPG IMG_1313.JPG

Thanks for any advice
    Oreel

2. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    My first guess is French, with the "5 5" being the pendulum length in pouces and lignes (ca. 5 1/2 to 6 inches, I think).

3. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yep I'd say French too, I think they are sometimes referred to as vineyard clocks, I think they were made from the early 19th C through to the early 20th C. The 5 5 is 5 and 5/12 French inches.

4. lpbp

lpbp Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Also referred to as French Picture Frame clocks. With movements in the style of Morbier clocks.

5. oreel

oreel Registered User

Aug 25, 2011
    netherlands
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks to all sofar, any idea what the "H" stands for ?

6. Burkhard Rasch

Burkhard Rasch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    General-and trauma surgeon
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This is a variant of the Oreille de Boeuf clock (bull´ s eye).The mvmt. is the square variant of the (round) Pendule de Paris mvmt. a high quality french mass produced mvmt.Judging from the alabastre dial with applied enamel cartouches I´ d say 1880+-10.H could be a batch indicator(??).The dial is quiet fragile,so take care.These clocks also came with a completely other type of mvmt,the spring powered comtoise type which is called a Morez clock.
    A fine clock when restored!
    Burkhard

7. oreel

oreel Registered User

Aug 25, 2011
    netherlands
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Burkhard and yes the alabastre is already damaged. I hope all other parts are in the box that came with the clock. Getting it working and running again will keep me of the street for some time:screwball:

Omnia mutantur, nihil interit
    (Ovidius)