Looking for Model Number of this Herschede clock

SWPhotography

Mar 7, 2021
Northern Utah
Country
Region
I was wondering if anyone can tell me what model of Herschede clock this is.

I believe it's one of their budget (cheaper) clocks and was made in 1971 ... it has chime rods instead of the tubular bells. Maybe a cheaper production model to compete with Howard Miller and Ridgeway.

The case looks like the Whittier Model 217, exact same size, but no second hand or silent levers on the upper corners of the clock face. The case looks almost identical except the upper panels on the side are wood instead of glass ... maybe they just did the glass panels on the ones with the tubular bells?

Was The Wittier offered with chime rods? I have looked at several of their catalogs online and haven't see one.
The movement looks like a Jauch PL-78 with Herscede Starkville stamped on it.

The clock was missing the suspension spring and leader. I had a spring that worked and made a leader for it. So far it's seems to be running great. I wish it had the tubular bells but I still love the clock and am very happy to be it's new owner.

Thanks for your help!
Shane
PN5A2884.png PN5A2892.png PN5A2886.png PN5A2889.png PN5A2881.png PN5A2879.png

chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
Yes Herschede did offer some of the tubular bell chime cases with German rod chime movements during the Starkville years, I don't know if it really retained the same model name in marketing. Check the door for any ID tag that may be missing. I've never seen photos of the tubular bell chime cases with a German movement before and am a bit surprised they used the smaller 78 CM movement instead of the larger 96 CM movement that was listed as being used according to old R&M Imports data.

Movement was made by Gebr. Jauch KG in Germany, No. 60-500 or something similar. Chime rods were likely sourced from Germany but the dial looks like a Herschede original. Looking at how this was all laid out it's very evident the tubular bell cases were not originally designed to take the smaller German chime rod movements. Chime rod sounding board setup is identical to what Emperor used on their cases.

So long as it works well and sounds nice, it's worth keeping around.

Reactions: SWPhotography

Bruce Alexander

Sponsor
NAWCC Brass Member
Feb 22, 2010
Country
Region
Welcome to the NAWCC Forums Shane!

As I read your original post I was going to suggest that you contact ChimeClockFan for more of the details, but I see that he already weighed in an hour or so ago.

It seems that Herschede, when they were making all of the own movements, did offer a "Symphony" Chime Rod movement option for their grandmother clocks and their English Antique case 480 . Those clocks still had the option of Westminster or Canterbury melodies. They also had a range of dial faces as Justin has already alluded to.

The 217 is a nice case. Sounds like you found a very good deal/value for your money.

If you don't mind my asking, what are some of your other Tall Case clocks?

Regards,

Bruce

SWPhotography

Mar 7, 2021
Northern Utah
Country
Region
... If you don't mind my asking, what are some of your other Tall Case clocks?

Regards,

Bruce
Thanks for your help Bruce!
I have been on the lookout for a nice old Grandfather Clock but haven't had any luck yet. Not a lot in my area and when they do show up they are way to pricey. I have managed to pick up a couple Ridgeways, and yesterday I got an Westwood, which was a clock kit that is similar to the Emperor, that I plan on giving to my daughter for her birthday that is coming up shortly.
My favorite clock is a Clarke, Gilbert and Co. OG clock from the early 1840s that was in pieces when I picked it up and managed to put back together and get running.
PN5A2782b.png

Bruce Alexander

Sponsor
NAWCC Brass Member
Feb 22, 2010
Country
Region
The clock looks gorgeous. Thanks for taking the time to share it with us.

We don't have any chime rod tall cases in our collection yet, but I would not mind having a nice one.
Those long rods in a musical instrument of a case can sound very, very beautiful. We have a few Herschede Tubular Bells, and one Hanson 9-bell model 1250. A Hanson family descendant actually inquired about purchasing it from us. My wife picked it out so it's not going anywhere soon. :)

Looks like you're already a collector/hobbyist. You've definitely come to the right place in my opinion. Again, welcome aboard!

Regards,

Bruce

SWPhotography

Mar 7, 2021
Northern Utah
Country
Region
The clock looks gorgeous. Thanks for taking the time to share it with us.

We don't have any chime rod tall cases in our collection yet, but I would not mind having a nice one.
Those long rods in a musical instrument of a case can sound very, very beautiful. We have a few Herschede Tubular Bells, and one Hanson 9-bell model 1250. A Hanson family descendant actually inquired about purchasing it from us. My wife picked it out so it's not going anywhere soon. :)

Looks like you're already a collector/hobbyist. You've definitely come to the right place in my opinion. Again, welcome aboard!

Regards,

Bruce
Thanks for the welcome Bruce! Sounds like you have some great clocks. I just looked up the Hanson 1250 ... Wow, what a beautiful clock! I would love to find one with Tubular Bells. One of my Ridgeways has the most beautiful sound though, it's a cheaper clock from 1981 but it sure does sound sweet!

Yeah I have a few to many hobbies and I have a feeling this one (collecting clocks) may get expensive!

Bruce Alexander

Sponsor
NAWCC Brass Member
Feb 22, 2010
Country
Region
Hello Shane,
Yeah, it can get expensive but prices have come down quite a bit over the last decade or so. One can very often find nice clocks that would have been way out of the reach of many folks not that long ago. That's especially true of Tall Case Clocks. As you no doubt already know, some of the expense comes at servicing and transporting them. If you're looking to build a collection, you'll find a lot of helpful information and folks in the NAWCC Forums. You've posted some very nice photos above, by the way. I look forward to seeing more of them. :)
Regards,
Bruce

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chas99
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff