Looking for information on vintage Rolex

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by Peter Canna, Oct 29, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Peter Canna

Peter Canna Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 12, 2019
    I am trying to learn as much as possible, including value, about my brother's Rolex. I beleive he bought it in the 80's in Zurich. Which is where he lives.) I understand I can't ask for a value but I'm hoping someone can provide some info and direction.

I've attached pictures (I hope). What I can provide is the following.

"Rolex – 28.4 mm square. 4.65mm thick w/o crystal. 7.8mm with.
    On back it says MODELE DEPOSE (MODEL STORAGE)

On face it says ROLEX CHROMOMETER on top
    SWISS MADE on bottom.

On movement inside it says TIMED 6 POSITIONS
    18 RUBIES s/n 11513

The strap is original ROLEX"

As always any info is greatly appreciated.

ROLEX 1.JPG ROLEX 3.JPG ROLEX 4.JPG

2. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    There are some good people on this mb that know Rolex, they should be along soon to answer you.

Peter Canna likes this.
  3. Kevin Neathery

Kevin Neathery Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 15, 2018
    Male
    IT Security
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The one key piece of info that you did not mention but I see in the pic is that the movement is marked "Chronometre". I have a few older Rolex Chronometre like the Viceroy and a Observatory. The Chronometre mark is important.

The info we need is mainly inside the case back. Is it marked Rolex or anything? "Modele Depose" is like saying patented design or registered design. The number is a serial still but without confirming the case is Rolex it can't be used to date the watch.

The serial on the movement has also never been of use to me. I have asked other Rolex experts and I usually get the same reply "only Rolex would know" as to what the number is associated to.

Design looks 40s to me. The style is not of the 80s but he must have bought it as a vintage watch in the 80s. Some things will play a big role in value. Rolex case, gold or gold plated, running condition, and original dial. The only way to be 100% sure on the dial is to have to inspected by a watchmaker for the usual signs of a refinish. Sometimes though you will find the dial marked Chronometer instead of Chronometre, this is sometimes a sign of a redial. Most collectors want the Oyster cased watches. As such the "dress" watches like this one don't command the higher prices.

I am not an expert on Rolex but I hope I have helped some. :)

Jeff Hess likes this.
  4. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Looks to be Rolex 600 movement. Circa 1922.

5. Kevin Neathery

NAWCC Member

May 15, 2018
    Male
    IT Security
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    10 1/2"' Rolex movements retained their design for decades. If the case is Rolex and the serial on the case is used, as always, would put it to ca 1943-44. This would fit in more with the style than a 1922 which would be much more like the original W&D. It would typically have been a simple looking watch around 1922 with a possible silver or enamel dial as was typical of the time.

6. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    My comment was about when the movement was made. This does not mean that the same model movement could not have been still in use 20 years later.

7. Jeff Hess

Jeff Hess Moderator
    Sponsor Gold Business Member

Sep 3, 2000
    Male
    watches
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    lots of good info above! need better sharper pics though. 18k rose version with original dials can be quite pricey. Not scarce but desirable. 14k yellow ones with redone dials are not really too saught after. And bring paltry sums.

Kevin Neathery likes this.
  8. Kevin Neathery

NAWCC Member

May 15, 2018
    Male
    IT Security
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I was trying to clarify the date for the OP. If you want to go into detail......the movement could not be a cal 600 as it has a super balance with a Breguet hs. Being sub seconds would make it a cal 700. The cal 600 was a 9.75''' instead of the usual 10.5''' you find on the 700. The hs being determined as to being Breguet comes to the shape of the part of the regulator where the hs goes between the curb pins. The flat hs had a straight part there where the Breguet had a angled flatter portion. The super balance was introduced in 1935.

9. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Fair enough then. ;)

10. Kevin Neathery

NAWCC Member

May 15, 2018
    Male
    IT Security
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well my Rolex knowledge is pretty much exhausted at that point ....hoping you would not ask for more or I would have been rather stuck lol

11. Peter Canna

NAWCC Member

Jun 12, 2019
    Wow, a lot of great information here. I really appreciated the responses.

I'll try to get a little more info and better pictures.

Thanks again for all the help!

12. Peter Canna

NAWCC Member

Jun 12, 2019
    Hi again, I have a few more pictures and some additional info. First, my brother bought it in the 90's at a vintage watch shop in Zurich. He knew it was a vintage watch but doesn't remember the original date. He recently had it serviced and was told it was original except for a few internal replacement parts. It is 18k gold.

I hope it helps. Again, I am just trying to give him a ball park market price for the watch.

Let me know if you need anything else. and again thank you for all the info.

Peter

rolex 1.jpg rolex 2.jpg rolex 3.jpg

13. Kevin Neathery

NAWCC Member

May 15, 2018
    Male
    IT Security
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Awesome! All the pics help a bunch. You just need to see what other Rolex ref 4330 in 18k trend for. Great case!

14. Peter Canna

NAWCC Member

Jun 12, 2019
    Thanks I appreciated the info

15. Adam Harris

Adam Harris Registered User
    Moore NWCM Award

May 3, 2012
    Male
    Jubilado (retired)
    Costa Blanca - Spain
    Country Flag:
    Its the 10-1/2 HUNTER movement developed by Aegler
    Marked SUPERBALANCE which was Wilsdorf new marketing from 1935, prior to that they termed it PRIMA, SUPER PRIMA or ULTRA PRIMA
    Serial number dates to 1941/2

16. Jeff Hess

Jeff Hess Moderator
    Sponsor Gold Business Member

Sep 3, 2000
    Male
    watches
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    check Christies and liveauctioneers and ebay for completed sales