Looking for Information on My Newest Clock Find

tomtomsjc

May 30, 2009
I picked up this clock today at a thrift store. So far it is working well. I'm hoping someone here can tell me any and all info. I dont see a maker on the face. Please and thank you....

clock11.jpg clock22.jpg clock33.jpg

Royce

NAWCC Member
Oct 8, 2018
Houston
Country
Region
tomtomsjc
If you will provide this forum with a good picture of the back of the movement, most likely someone will be able to provide you some appropriate information.
Royce

agemo

Apr 5, 2011
SAINT-NAZAIRE - FRANCE
Country
Region

Royce

NAWCC Member
Oct 8, 2018
Houston
Country
Region
Dating Ingraham clocks by the Company name:

The E. and A. Ingrahams Company 1852 - 1856
Elias Ingraham and Company 1857 - 1860
E. Ingraham & Company 1861 - 1880
The E. Ingraham & Company 1881 - 1884
The E. Ingraham Company 1885 -
Subsequently, your clock appears to be in the 1861 - 1880 time-frame.

Hope this helps.
Royce

tomtomsjc

May 30, 2009
Dating Ingraham clocks by the Company name:

The E. and A. Ingrahams Company 1852 - 1856
Elias Ingraham and Company 1857 - 1860
E. Ingraham & Company 1861 - 1880
The E. Ingraham & Company 1881 - 1884
The E. Ingraham Company 1885 -
Subsequently, your clock appears to be in the 1861 - 1880 time-frame.

Hope this helps.
Royce
Oh Thank you Royce. Do you know what the numbers are on either side of the clock name? There is a 5 and a 19. I was assuming this was May 1919

Royce

NAWCC Member
Oct 8, 2018
Houston
Country
Region
Oh Thank you Royce. Do you know what the numbers are on either side of the clock name? There is a 5 and a 19. I was assuming this was May 1919
Definitely not 1919 as it was manufactured between 1861 - 1880. Sorry, I don't know. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than I can clarify for you.
Royce

tomtomsjc

May 30, 2009
Definitely not 1919 as it was manufactured between 1861 - 1880. Sorry, I don't know. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than I can clarify for you.
Royce
Thank you again Royce. This is a great group :)

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
May 1919 is correct as the date of the movement. Ingraham began routinely dating their movements in this way in April 1897.
There is no ampersand in the company name, and Ingraham did not put the definite article on the movement. The E. Ingraham Co. is the name used when this movement was made.

tomtomsjc

May 30, 2009
May 1919 is correct as the date of the movement. Ingraham began routinely dating their movements in this way in April 1897.
There is no ampersand in the company name, and Ingraham did not put the definite article on the movement. The E. Ingraham Co. is the name used when this movement was made.
Thank you Steven for this information. I just love this clock and will be looking for an alarm mechanism and bell so it can be complete again :)

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Thank you Steven for this information. I just love this clock and will be looking for an alarm mechanism and bell so it can be complete again :)
Did it originally have an alarm movement and bell? I can't tell from your pictures.

I also wonder whether the 1919 movement might not be too late for the style of the clock. Possible replacement movement? I could be wrong on that, however.

When you first posted, I remember checking Tran Duy Ly's book on Ingraham clocks and was unable to find this clock. That, however, is not a definite indication that Ingraham did not make the clock case. The gong base, though, resembles some I've seen on Gilbert clocks.

Just a few extra thoughts for what they are worth.

Reactions: tomtomsjc

bochisholm

Jul 20, 2007
When I first looked at your clock I noticed the Welch Pendulum, looked like a welch dial and the labels on the back are in the same position as a Welch. I checked my clock which looks like yours and the label shows it is the Eclipse model. It's possible that it is a Welch case with a newer movement. Not too unusual, that is a old clock.

Reactions: tomtomsjc

tomtomsjc

May 30, 2009
When I first looked at your clock I noticed the Welch Pendulum, looked like a welch dial and the labels on the back are in the same position as a Welch. I checked my clock which looks like yours and the label shows it is the Eclipse model. It's possible that it is a Welch case with a newer movement. Not too unusual, that is a old clock.
I have attached a picture of where I think the original alarm clock movement was.....not sure though

thumbnail.jpg

JT88

Apr 16, 2021
Country
Here are before and after pictures of the case. The wood was dirty and dry......

I'd like to know how you cleaned up the case and took it from the before to after shots. Looks really nice. I have several clocks that have been in a garage for a while and I'm am looking at best practise for cleaning up the cases of the dirt, dust and cobwebs as well as any treatment I should do to the case that appear to be 'dry'. Thanks.

JT

tomtomsjc

May 30, 2009
I'd like to know how you cleaned up the case and took it from the before to after shots. Looks really nice. I have several clocks that have been in a garage for a while and I'm am looking at best practise for cleaning up the cases of the dirt, dust and cobwebs as well as any treatment I should do to the case that appear to be 'dry'. Thanks.

JT
I start by cleaning the case with mineral spirits. You can start in a small inconspicuous spot but I have never had any problems. In fact I have a Seth Thomas Ogee clock whose case was in sad shape and mineral spirits alone brought it back to what looks like its original factory finish. With this particular clock, there was no finish whatsoever. I first cleaned with mineral spirits, and then applied a few thin coats of shellac and in between coats I used very fine steel wool. The shellac dries very fast between 20 minutes to an hour tops. Shellac is what they would have used originally. Just be sure you are using shellac and not polyurethane. Shellac dries to a high gloss finish. On the final coat of shellac I take the shine down a notch with the very fine steel wool. At that point it's your option to leave it very shiny or to bring it down a notch as I did.

Reactions: JT88

tomtomsjc

May 30, 2009
I found this link on Ebay. It is a sold item and is the same case as the one I recently purchased. the only difference is the image on the glass. It is E. N. Welch No. 16........Does anyone have any info on this particular model?

Here are some pictures of the clock and the label I am looking for information on. I cannot find another e. n. welch No. 16 on the internet. Perhaps someone else has som info on it in a book or maybe has one?

snip1.jpg snip2.jpg snip3.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
darc
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller