Looking for Information on a 76+ Year Old Travel Clock

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by Daniel1, Sep 12, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new home of the NAWCC Message Board
    We are glad to see you have found us Guest. If you like what you find here, please let your friends know about us.
  1. Daniel1

Daniel1 New Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Hi,

I'm afraid I am not a clock person or know anything about clocks. I wanted to ask because I have found a travel clock in my grandad's possessions. My grandad didn't really leave much in terms of family objects, and in fact, me and my uncle never knew of this travel clock's existence until a few days ago. We think it might of been my great-grandad's due to how old the travel clock is. Any comments about the clock, regardless of how obvious they are, would be nice. I'd like to know anything more about it since Google fails me.

The clock's case is 3.5cm by 3.5cm. The face of the clock has the words "Brook & Son Edinburgh". According to Google, Brook & Son was a family jewellery that ran from 1891-1941 in the city of Edinburgh on 87 George Street. Today 87 George Street is inhabitated by another jeweller, Hamilton & Inches. So with Brook & Son ceasing to exist in 1941 (perhaps the son died in World War II?), I guess that means the clock must be at minimum 76 years old.

There is an inscription on the inside of the case, which reads "584 Metal Swiss Made". Another inscription is on the back of the clock, with it reading "546 Metal Swiss Made 218487". I don't know what any of that means I'm afraid.

Be interesting to see any light shared on this, even if it is just some mundane obvious facts or speculation on it. I doubt the object has any real worth, but would be nice to keep as a family heirloom. Here are some photos.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BLKBEARD

BLKBEARD Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 15, 2016
    I know very little about watches. But from a strictly antiques point of view, I'd guess it to be a Ladies Pendant Watch.

If that's the consensus you might ask the moderator to move this thread to the Watch Forum, where You'll have a better chance of the watch experts viewing it.

Again, I'm just guessing, so my thought + 50 cents might buy you a cup of coffee.

3. Daniel1

Daniel1 New Member

Sep 12, 2017
    OK I will ask a moderator to move the threat. Thank you.

4. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    Sponsor NAWCC Member Donor

Jan 15, 2004
    At Daniel's request I have moved this thread to the European Pockrt Watches forum, where I suppose it receive better replies than in Clocks General.

5. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member Sponsor NAWCC Member Donor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    The metal marks could be interpreted as 14K gold but that seems unlikely from the appearance. These watches are normally described as ladies' purse watches, but when they are as small as this one they might be carried in the pocket also.

These are not easy to disassemble to get access to the back without messing up the case spring load mechanism. It is difficult to tell much about the watch without seeing the movement.

Hamilton and Inches are a well known jeweler and may know something of the history of the prior company. I would take it in to their shop and ask what they know about it. If you take your cell phone along, they may even disassemble it enough to see the mechanism.

6. Daniel1

Daniel1 New Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Thanks for moving the thread Steven. And thanks for the info Tom. Hamilton and Inches is a bit out of the way from where I live to get too, since I live outside Edinburgh, but maybe one day next week if I get some spare time I might pay a visit. I sent them an e-mail about the subject and will see if they send me a reply.

Surprised at this being a woman's purse watch, since like I said, I found it in my grandad's things. Might be my grandmother's watch and he kept it after she died, but again, she would of only been about 8 when Brook & Son shut down, so who did she get it off? Will never get an answer to that, but just kindof curious on who owned it originally, perhaps my great grandmother.