American Looking for information about clocks made by Samuel Davis, Pittsburgh, 1804-1827

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Debra C., Jun 18, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Debra C.

Debra C. Registered User

Jun 16, 2020
    Country Flag:
    I am researching Samuel Davis who was active as a clock and watch maker in Pittsburgh from 1804-1827. He made a number of tall clocks with white dials that were signed “S. Davis / Pittsburgh.” Some dials also included a clock number. I would appreciate any information about Davis and his clocks and watches, especially information about any surviving examples. Thanks for the help!

2. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    if you're a member you have access to past nawcc bulletin articles.... here's what a quick search of the index came up with:

Screen Shot 2020-06-18 at 11.31.54 AM.jpg

3. Debra C.

Debra C. Registered User

Jun 16, 2020
    Country Flag:
    Thank you! I am familiar with both those resources. Swetnam also wrote a couple articles that were published in a Pittsburgh paper in the 1950s. Unfortunately, Swetnam makes a lot of statements but does not provide any authority for his assertions. It's hard to rely on what he says without knowing on what it is based, and some of the things he says are wrong. I'm hoping to find corroborating sources as well as additional examples of Davis's work. I appreciate your post.

4. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    Here's Whisker's entry for Samuel Davis.

IMG_20200622_210313562.jpg

I have a least two more books covering Pennsylvania clocks, but my library is up for grabs.

Ralph

5. Debra C.

Debra C. Registered User

Jun 16, 2020
    Country Flag:
    Thank you. I've seen the Gibbs and the Eckhardt book. Are those the other two?

6. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    Yes, those were the two I was thinking about. I found the Eckhardt this morning and as you know, it was minimal in it's information.

Ralph

7. Debra C.

Debra C. Registered User

Jun 16, 2020
    Country Flag:
    Yes, I'm also finding that many of those old sources are not accurate and they just repeat what other writers said. The Whisker info was taken from an NAWCC Bulletin article from 1960. Now with the benefit of the internet I have been able to search the census, immigration records, and newspapers and found some interesting sources. That would have been extremely hard to do at the time those books were written.

PatH likes this.