Looking for info on my Waltham watch

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by flapjack, Mar 15, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. flapjack

flapjack Registered User

Mar 15, 2017
    Salem, Ma. USA
    Country Flag:
    I have a small watch collection that I've had for years.
    The watch that I am looking for info on is a Waltham Riverside Maximus, 23 jewels, model 1899, open face. The movement is gilt damaskeened finish. s/n# 15061881
    Thanks for any info

IMG_0693.jpg

2. musicguy

musicguy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
  3. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member Donor Sponsor NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Flapjack, I am not sure what you mean by gilt damaskeened finish. That term usually means an overall gold wash on the finish or applied gold wash areas on the plates.

There is not a lot of source information available about Waltham watches sold after 1900. Yours was probably sold between 1905 and 1910. The NAWCC Information site has what is known about it and you can enter your own observations at http://nawccinfo.nawcc.org/LookupSN.php?osnumber=15061881&sernumin=.

4. rolandantrobus

rolandantrobus Registered User

May 17, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Absolutely beautiful!

As an aside I have many watches whose cases bear the same V and I scratches on the case rim next to the movement, that yours has. Does anyone know what on earth is going on?

5. flapjack

flapjack Registered User

Mar 15, 2017
    Salem, Ma. USA
    Country Flag:
    Thanks musicguy,
    On the "Movement finish" is says "nickel"
    I guess that they made them in gilt finish also,
    because that's the movement finish that I have.
    thanks again

6. flapjack

flapjack Registered User

Mar 15, 2017
    Salem, Ma. USA
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for the info Tom.
    I don't really know what the finish is called, I just know that the entire inside of the watch is 'gold colored"
    thanks

7. rolandantrobus

May 17, 2016
    Country Flag:
    #7 rolandantrobus, Mar 15, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    Flapjack, yours is a hunter not open face.

8. flapjack

flapjack Registered User

Mar 15, 2017
    Salem, Ma. USA
    Country Flag:
    Hi Roland,
    My watch doesn't have a "cover" of any kind on the front, it's just the glass face. IMG_0696.jpg

9. rolandantrobus

May 17, 2016
    Country Flag:
    It's what's called a sidewinder, a hunter movement in an open face case. Not sure whether it would have left the factory like that or not. Nice original and correct glass enamelled dial.

10. rolandantrobus

May 17, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Some more info

[​IMG]

Oops! this may be for the model 1888 but may help

Attached Files:

11. flapjack

flapjack Registered User

Mar 15, 2017
    Salem, Ma. USA
    Country Flag:
    cool, thanks Roland
    The watch was my grandfathers and he passed it on to my father who passed it on to me.
    Its something that i will also pass on to my son. Its a great family heirloom.

12. Dave Coatsworth

Dave Coatsworth Super Moderator
    Donor NAWCC Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Camarillo, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    "As an aside I have many watches whose cases bear the same V and I scratches on the case rim next to the movement, that yours has. Does anyone know what on earth is going on?"

The roman numerals you see on the case frame are part of the case serial number. Used to keep parts of the case together during the manufacturing process.

13. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You have a very nice watch and a great family heirloom. It would be useful for you to know if the person who owned the watch in the 1929 to 1935 period may have fallen on hard times and turned in the original gold case for cash and a replacement case.

I will post a picture of a watch that has both nickle and gilt finish on the plates so you can see the difference.

You should as Kent will tell you find out as much as you can about the history of the watch and make a document to accompany it for the coming generations.

Attached Files:

14. flapjack

flapjack Registered User

Mar 15, 2017
    Salem, Ma. USA
    Country Flag:
    Hi Tom,
    The picture that I posted earlier of the movement was a picture that I took many years ago, it looks like "gold colored" movement, and I thought that I remembered it as such .But today I opened up the watch and the movement is in fact nickel, sorry, my mistake.
    Here is a picture of the case. It says, A.W.C.C.O 14K 203756 FullSizeRender.jpg

15. musicguy

musicguy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    A.W.C.Co 14K Nice case as well.

16. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It seems likely that your grandfather did not like those old watches with the cover over the dial and had it cased in an open face case. It is still barely possible that a jeweler gave him $20 for the hunter case and swapped the movement, but that seems pretty unlikely.

If you search this site for "sidewinder" you will find lots of discussions on the subject of movements that were designed for hunting cases but ended up in open face cases.

17. flapjack

flapjack Registered User

Mar 15, 2017
    Salem, Ma. USA
    Country Flag:
    Thanks Tom,
    I would have to say that the watch is in the configuration that it was when my grandfather got it, but if it was never offered in that configuration,
    then I would be wrong. I wish that my grandfather was still alive so I could ask him about the watch, but he passed away when I was around 4 years old.
    My father never told me anything more about the watch than that it was his dad's. If he was still alive today he would be 124 years old.
    thanks again for the info

18. Vince Schweiger

Vince Schweiger Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Flapjack
    Tom is correct about the watch originally having a hunter case and later being placed in an open face case. Many watch movements were sold separately by the Waltham company and cased at the request of the buyer by the jeweler who sold it. But my experience with Riverside Maximus watches is they were all at least cased with the appropriate style case. Very nice watch!
    Vince

19. NC Plumber

NC Plumber Registered User

Jan 15, 2011
    Excellent watch, I do see signs of screw head marks where another movement has been in that case at one point in time.

20. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Could you describe where they are? The picture of the movement expands to very large if you click it three times. I could not spot anything I would think was a screw mark. There are the case assembly roman numerals and there is a little bit of marring around the screw on the right, but I attribute that to normal wear when the movement was removed from the case.

My Dad walked from Detroit to Los Angeles during the depression and we talked a lot about the hard and reckless times so I know people did things they would never tell their children about during that time.

21. PWfanatik

PWfanatik Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Building trades Project Manager
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Are we sure this movement would have cased at the factory?
    We all know about movements being sold by catalog, and the buyer and his jeweler helping select a case separately.
    Dave.

22. rolandantrobus

May 17, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Ahh I see them now! About 30 degrees clockwise from the existing screws.

23. musicguy

musicguy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    #23 musicguy, Mar 16, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
    I would believe that most watch movements that were designed for a
    hunter case were originally cased in a hunter case, especially high end
    watches(as has been said a few times already in this thread by very knowledgeable people).
    That being said, watches have a lot of their own history(when they are as old as the OP's watch is),
    I would rather know that your own grandfather made a choice to change the case(for reasons we will never know),
    rather than being replaced by a dealer, jeweler, or hobbyist looking for the
    Gold( or to put their own watch in the case) then throw it up on ebay.
    The watch and current case are very nice, and I wouldn't worry if there are case screw marks
    or not, it's a very nice family heirloom! Enjoy it, make sure you have it serviced,
    wind it once in a while, show your own kids the watch, create some excitement.

RE "The watch was my grandfathers and he passed it on to my father who passed it on to me."
    also, no one knows if your grandfather bought this watch "New", it could have history
    before him.

Enjoy it!

Rob

24. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    OK, I can see the mark now near the word Maximus and the pillar screw. I suppose I can also see, but mostly deduce, the one near the foot of the balance cock.

25. flapjack

flapjack Registered User

Mar 15, 2017
    Salem, Ma. USA
    Country Flag:
    I remember my dad showing it to me when I was a small child, which was a while ago because I'm going to be 53 years old this year. I show it to my sons once in a while because it will belong to one of them someday. I don't care what it's worth because I would never sell it and I hope that it gets passed down for many generation to come. That means more to me than any amount of money that I could get for it.
    Thanks musicguy, and thanks to everyone else for your thoughts and info on my grandfather's watch

26. flapjack

flapjack Registered User

Mar 15, 2017
    Salem, Ma. USA
    Country Flag:
    As a side note, it seems to work great, but I rarely wind it, and I have never had it serviced.
    What should I do to make sure that it still works well into the future?
    I am in the Boston area, maybe Tom Mcintyre would know of a place that I should bring it if necessary?
    thanks

27. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have Chris Carey at Watertown Watch & Clock on California St, in Newton (very close to Watertown Square) do all of my regular service jobs. He will be at the Chapter 87 meeting next Sunday in Peabody at the Spring Hill Suites on Rt. 1. The meeting lasts from 8:30 to about 11:00.

28. flapjack

flapjack Registered User

Mar 15, 2017
    Salem, Ma. USA
    Country Flag:
    Thank you Tom

29. flapjack

flapjack Registered User

Mar 15, 2017
    Salem, Ma. USA
    Country Flag:
    I talked with the gentleman at Watertown Watch & Clock and he told me to wind the watch once in a while and that it should be fine, if I don't plan on using it.
    thanks again Tom