Looking for info on Edgemere Pocket watch

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by bseehafer, Apr 13, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. bseehafer

bseehafer Registered User

Apr 13, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Looking to help identify a pocket watch from a family member. Not concerned with value just looking to see if I should keep at home or in a safety deposit box.

Images below:
    Front case shows Sears - Special - 834413
    Back case has normal Sears, Roebuck and Co sticker - 10K gold, 20 Year
    Internals show Edgemere, Chicago IL, 12 Jewels, serial 461360

View attachment 340089 View attachment 340090 View attachment 340091 View attachment 340092 View attachment 340093 View attachment 340094 View attachment 340095

2. bseehafer

Apr 13, 2017
    Country Flag:
  3. Tom Huber

Tom Huber Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2000
    Your watch was mfg by the Seth Thomas Watch co for Sears in approx. 1892. I believe it is 18S, 17 jewels. Your case is 10k gold filled, not solid gold.

Tom

4. bseehafer

Apr 13, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Thanks Tom!

5. Kent

Kent Registered User
    NAWCC Member

That looks more like a Seth Thomas ladies 6-size, model 16 (flat hairspring) or model 17 (Breguet hairspring). It appears to be marked "12 Jewels" which is a bit unusual.

See American Pocket Watches Beginning to End...1830-1980, Identification and Price Guide, Roy Ehrhardt & William Meggers, Jr., Heart of America Press, Kansas City, MO, 1987 (commonly referred to as “The Gold Book”, page 128, EA 820.

6. bseehafer

Apr 13, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Thanks Kent! I'll see if I can find a copy of the book.

7. Kent

Kent Registered User
    NAWCC Member

There's very little in the book that pertains to your watch. If you're not a watch collector (and don't intend to become one), you might not want to buy the book sight unseen.

8. bseehafer

Apr 13, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Any other books that might be of more use in finding additional information. If nothing else I'd like to fix the watch and wouldn't mind attempting it myself at some point. From what I've seen the watch likely has far more sentimental value to me, than it does monetary value so fixing and keeping it makes more sense.

9. TimeAntiquarian

TimeAntiquarian Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 29, 2011
    Country Flag:
    To augment Kent's excellent summary, the 1904 Seth Thomas Serial/Model list designates 420001-500000 as model 17 (6s, Breguet Hairspring).

10. Kent

Kent Registered User
    NAWCC Member

The 6-size, 12-jewel, Edgemere movement is pictured and described (including being "richly damaskeened in gold") in Sears, Roebuck and Co., Inc. Catalogue No. 118 - Consumers Guide - Fall 1909, Chicago, IL, 1909, reprinted by Ventura Books, New York, NY, 1979, page 26. You may be able to find this book at a reasonable price. However, this reprint is severely abridged and apparently the pages offering the complete watch in choices of cases was not reproduced. Also, make sure that you have a good magnifying glass, or that you can scan the page and blow it up, because the original catalogue's 8x11 page is reduced down to 5x7.

You're correct, the sentimental value will far exceed the monetary value of the watch.

Unless you're going to go on to repair other watches, you might consider having the work done by a competent watchmaker. It may cost over $200, but the time and money you'd put into learning how to do it yourself, along with the investment in tools (not to mention locating any needed parts) may be considerably more than that.

Good luck,