Looking for Info on a Patent Chronograph Watch

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by Chuck Hein, Jun 29, 2007.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Chuck Hein

Chuck Hein Registered User

Feb 6, 2002
    The words Patent Chronograph are the only words on the watch. They are located on the dial. This is a large watch measuring 57mm across (not including the stem and bow). It is key wind and key set and has the cylinder type escapement. The interesting thing about it is a sliding button on the outside of the case that moves a lever inside the watch. The lever rubs against the balance wheel and stops the watch. I believe this is called a "stop works" mechanism. The dial has Roman Numeral hour markers and small numbers in increments of 25 (25, 50, 75, ... 300) on the outside edge. The watch has a center sweep seconds hand.

2. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I cannot be certain without a picture, but I suspect you have a hacking watch that was used for short term timing operations and sometimes as an actual chronograph.

It is unusual for these to have a cylinder escapement.

Here is an example of the English Center Seconds Chronograph from my collection.

1.jpg 1.gif

3. mch

mch Registered User

Jun 18, 2005
    There were a number of inexensive Swiss stop watches after the turn of the century, in nickel plated cases and having cylinder escapements.

Mike

4. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Mike,

I think the 300 beat scale and the size probably argue against the later examples.

Of course it has been over a month now since Ticker asked. He may be on vacation or he may not be able to find the watch. ;)