English Looking for info about this movement/clock

WelshDude

Jun 25, 2019
Country
Hi, Dave here from Wales UK. I know very little about old clocks but I kinda inherited a couple recently.

I took them to a clock repair shop and was told one of them was worth servicing and repair and he gave some basic info from what he could see.

There is a makers name on the face but is badly ghosted, I think it is R . Davies or possibly A or P . Davies.
English made or since I live in Wales and Davies is a common Surname here I think it may have been made by a Welsh maker in Wales.

I have already gathered that it is no work of art but if anyone here knows what they are looking at when they see this movement and could tell me anything about it like design or history of the design etc/ history / how accurate it may have been when new / age estimate / grade or quality or anything at all really.
Thank you in advance, my family are very interested and love to hear it ticking away knowing there are no batteries included lol............

001_(4).jpg
003-3.jpg
004_(3).jpg
002_(4).jpg
005_(3).jpg
006_(2).jpg

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
You have an English fusee "Dial" clock from the turn of the century or somewhat later. These movements are high quality and you can expect the clock to show accurate time with maybe +/- a minute a week if the movement is in good condition. When the clock has been serviced appropriately it should run like new.

Uhralt

bruce linde

Technical Admin
NAWCC Member
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
it’s called a fusee movement/clock. The chain winds onto the tapered fusee gear which acts like a bike derailer and (essentially) shifts gears as the spring winds down, helping keep good time.

The dial needs some attention but is good enough. you could carefully fill in the numbers w a black sharpie or paint. the minute hand is wrong, but fusee hands occasionally come up on eBay.

lpbp

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
Country
Region
If the dial won't clean up satisfactory and unless you are VERY good at filling them in you will be unhappy with the results there are professionals that can do a great job.

WelshDude

Jun 25, 2019
Country
Thanks guys, im not planning any further restoration because I cannot make out the makers name, where it was made or anything like that.
The bill for repairs and service was in the hundreds because a few things needed repair and the clock is not all original according to the chap who repaired it.
I feel that because of these factors I will leave it as it is and just keep the movement in full working order.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
The name on the dial was not necessarily that of the maker - in many cases, it was the name of the retailer.

JTD

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
Welcome to the MB. The English dial clock dates from around 1770 and has its origins in the earlier cartel clock. It was made well into the 20th C so there were quite a number of changes over those years though the circular shape of the case was a constant feature throughout its history. Initially the fusee movements had verge escapements and smaller wooden dials but fairly quickly the dial became iron and the typical size 12" with the anchor escapement replacing the verge. They were invariably timepieces and gut as well as chain (more expensive) was used. Another form, known as the drop dial clock, had a trunk.

You ought to be able to source a replacement spade minute hand fairly easily. If you are very interested in them then Rose's book English Dial Clocks is the best reference.

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
This is quite a late one but good quality. To my eye it has an unusual dial foot arrangement but I don't see many this age. You can certainly get hands easily enough, and a good dial painter could sort the dial out but you may like the aged look.

I know you said you thought you had spent enough but I think a replacement minute hand would really help the appearance.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
I know you said you thought you had spent enough but I think a replacement minute hand would really help the appearance.
I agree 100%. A new hand would cost very little and the hand you have at the moment is just not right.

JTD

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
If you don't know where to get one look at awf restorations derby and see if they have something the right size. Andrew will sell you just one hand rather than a pair if you want.

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayjayclox
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
How to wire a 24 volt secondary for a 12 volt ITR/IBM Master clock system by Toughtool