Looking for info about John Troughton, English Clock Maker

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by ClocksCollector, Jul 27, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. For the new NAWCC home page
    Click this image at the upper left corner of this page.
  1. ClocksCollector

ClocksCollector Registered User

Aug 14, 2005
    John Troughton Clock 1.jpg John Troughton Clock 2.jpg Hi, I am looking for some information concerning John Troughton. I was unable to get a photo of the movement. However, from the Internet I discovered that Troughton lived in Helstone. Any other information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #2 jmclaugh, Jul 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
    I can find two makers with the name John Troughton listed both are in Cornwall, one in Helston 1707-1750 and ano in Penryn mid-late 18th C, there appears to be nothing to say which one it might be . The case is a nice one, if a little top heavy, and not in inexpensive for the period though the hands aren't original.

3. ClocksCollector

ClocksCollector Registered User

Aug 14, 2005
    Thanks for your reply jmclaugh. What are the chances of finding a pair of original hands? Can you post a photo of what they should look like?

4. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Have a look on the web such as the site below for the style of hands. English Domestic Clocks by Cescinsky & Webster is still probably the best source for info on brass dial longcase clock hands.

Btw the chapter ring would almost certainly have been silvered.

http://www.brianloomes.com/collecting/brass/