Looking for Howard ..Serial #12,722

Harold Visser

Aug 24, 2000
Gilbert Arizona
Country
Region
If anyone knows of the whereabouts or owns E. Howard Serial #12,722, I would like to hear from you. I'm looking for this watch for research purposes, it was on the end of this mans chain for over 35 years.....
thanks, Harold

Attachments

Fred Hansen

NAWCC Member
Aug 18, 2002
Country
Re: Looking for Howard number.....

Harold -

Can you tell us anything about the man in the photo?

Also it might increase your chances to include this serial number in the title of your thread, if you like I could edit this in there.

Regards,
Fred

Harold Visser

Aug 24, 2000
Gilbert Arizona
Country
Region
Re: Looking for Howard number.....# 12,722

Fred, the man in the photo is Rear Admiral Sigsbee who carried the watch almost 40 years. It went overboard when the USS Maine sank in 1898 in the Havana Harbor, was recovered, put in a jar of kerosene and later restored by Henry Carr a Washington DC watchmaker who along with his father Joseph Carr maintained the watch for Sigsbee all those 40 years.
It was brought back to a "mean time of ten seconds a month" making it a remarkable accurate watch!
I have been in contact with a relative of Admiral Sigsbee but she has no idea of what happened to this historically important watch. It is not in the Navy Museum, I'm in the process of contacting the Smithsonian but I don't recall seeing that number when I was last there. Now I'm grasping at straws before I give up the search. I've always thought it would make a good article for the Bulletin if I could only locate it.....
Now you know the rest of the story, Harold

ps Fred, feel free to add watch number to the title.

Last edited:
Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MDHusker
Encyclopedia Pages