Looking for historical information William Gilbert

Discussion in 'Horological Misc' started by Historian, Jul 5, 2010.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Historian

Historian Registered User

Apr 23, 2009
    I'm hoping someone can help me obtain some information about William Gilbert, of Winsted/Winchester Connecticut.

I am researching a nephew of Gilbert's, and I have come to believe that this nephew inherited much of Gilbert's fortune, but I am unable to do the research myself due to distance (I live in Ohio). Anybody close enough to do a courthouse visit?

As an alternative, maybe someone knows who took over ownership of the Gilbert Clock Co. upon his death (I think around 1880)? I am led to believe that he had no children of his own, and may not have ever married, but I'm not sure. I understood also that he endowed a high school, and maybe an orphanage, but this is what I hope to confirm or refute.

I'm afraid I cannot pay anything for this information, but would be glad to do local research in return if needed.

Thanks in advance. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    William Lewis Gilbert, born December 3, 1806, died June 29, 1890. His brother-in-law, Isaac B Woodruff became the company president after his death. He divided his $30,000 worth of clock company stock to his nephews, Benjamin Franklin Marsh, and James Gilbert Woodruff (1/3 each) and nieces Mrs. Marilla H. Whiting, and Mrs. Catherine Warner (1/6th each).
    Most of Gilbert's fortune was bequested to his favorite charities, The Gilbert Home for Friendless Children ($400,000) and more than $400,000 to build and endow the Wm. L. Gilbert High School. Gifts of $1,000 each went to 19 of his relatives.
    So, I doubt any of his relatives became wealthy at his death.

3. Historian

Apr 23, 2009
    Excellent! This answers most of what I was looking for!

Here's another question, though: When Gilbert incorporated in 1866, who were his other stockholders? Any more information would be greatly appreciated!

4. harold bain

NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The original stockholders in 1866 were:
    William L Gilbert and George Owen, 480 shares each, Isaac B. Woodruff, 520 shares, and N. S. Pond, 120 shares. Owen was the first president of this company (The Gilbert Manufacturing Company), and was succeeded by Gilbert in 1871. This company was dissolved and its affairs wound up by 1874, with a loss to the shareholders of 20 percent.
    The William L. Gilbert Clock Company was formed on July 5, 1871, but it did not start business until July 1, 1873. The first clocks from this company appeared in late 1874, or early 1875, when they issued their first trade catalogue.

5. Historian

Apr 23, 2009
    Fantastic! Let me know what I can do for you in return!

Should I list you as a source, or is this information from a book?

-Historian

6. harold bain

NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I should have credited Tran Duy Ly's Gilbert Clocks book. The actual biography was written by Chris H. Bailey for this book, so he is the ultimate source of this information.
    If you wish, you could make a small donation to the message board to help with it's expenses:D.