Looking for help setting the bell

Oct 18, 2016
Country
I have been tasked with getting the bell working on a Howard round top tower clock model #2 S in Winchester NH.
I have been studying posts on this site and have learned a lot but have been unable to find info on setting the bell to ring. Our clock is in good working order and keeps time well but the bell rings on the half hour instead of the top of the hour. Anyone who knows how to do the proper adjustments in town is long gone. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Sounds like just taking the minute hand off and putting it back on 180° away would solve the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

BigAl

Aug 24, 2011
Pembrokeshire
Country
Region
If this a tower clock, how accessable is the dial. Is it far too high to easily reach?

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Welcome to the board. If you are dealing with a tower clock, you might wish to know that there is a separate section on this site which deals exclusively with tower clocks.

You might get more response there. Perhaps a moderator can move your post for you.

Hope this helps.

JTD

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I'll move the thread over there.

gvasale

NAWCC Member
Mar 30, 2005
webster, Ma
Country
Region
Adjusting the hands by loosening the yokes on the hand shafts doesn't require removing the hands.

Using the index pin set the clock to strike and then move the hands to match. You can tell the hour by counting the steps on the snail, 1 o'clock being the tallest step, and 12 o'clock the shortest.

Reactions: Rick Alhadeff

doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
Calgary, Alberta
Country
Region
I had to re-set a Seth Thomas 16A one time. That was much easier. A vertical bevel gear in the train drives a horizontal bevel gear on the ascending shaft which drives the transmission wheels (I get jumped on when I call it planetary) which drive the dial trains. Loosen the bolt on the horizontal bevel gear, set all four dials to the correct time, tighten the bolt. Super easy!

Reactions: Rick Alhadeff

bptanguay

Apr 5, 2012
Massachusetts
www.tanguayjewelers.com
Country
For those following this thread, Robert has worked hard on this clock, became a selectman in the town of Winchester NH and a very active community member. I just heard on the news tonight he was involved in a truck accident and did not survive the crash. My sincere condolences go out to his wife, family, and the town of Winchester. It was an honor working with him as an advisor to saving the E. Howard tower clock he was working on. 313717.jpg

Attachments

bptanguay

Apr 5, 2012
Massachusetts
www.tanguayjewelers.com
Country
UPDATE: The clock is about 98% complete, it keeps time and this week, Nov. 12th, the bell is ringing again. After a few adjustments on Saturday the 17th, I Hope to have it running at 100% again. The neighbors around the town of Winchester are happy to hear the bell ring out the hours again and will be reminded of the dedication of their friend who passed at such a young age.

Reactions: scootermcrad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tommy Nolan
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller