Looking for help setting the bell

Discussion in 'Tower, Monumental & Street Clocks' started by Winchester clock man, Oct 18, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Winchester clock man

Oct 18, 2016
    Country Flag:
    I have been tasked with getting the bell working on a Howard round top tower clock model #2 S in Winchester NH.
    I have been studying posts on this site and have learned a lot but have been unable to find info on setting the bell to ring. Our clock is in good working order and keeps time well but the bell rings on the half hour instead of the top of the hour. Anyone who knows how to do the proper adjustments in town is long gone. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. shutterbug

shutterbug Super Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sounds like just taking the minute hand off and putting it back on 180° away would solve the problem.

3. Probox

Probox Registered User

Oct 27, 2015
    Public Housing Government
    Halifax Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice response shutterbug....i luv it.

4. BigAl

BigAl Registered User

Aug 24, 2011
    Pembrokeshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If this a tower clock, how accessable is the dial. Is it far too high to easily reach?

5. JTD

JTD Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Welcome to the board. If you are dealing with a tower clock, you might wish to know that there is a separate section on this site which deals exclusively with tower clocks.

You might get more response there. Perhaps a moderator can move your post for you.

Hope this helps.

JTD

6. shutterbug

shutterbug Super Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'll move the thread over there.

7. gvasale

gvasale Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 30, 2005
    work in a machine shop, not as a machinist
    webster, Ma
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Adjusting the hands by loosening the yokes on the hand shafts doesn't require removing the hands.

Using the index pin set the clock to strike and then move the hands to match. You can tell the hour by counting the steps on the snail, 1 o'clock being the tallest step, and 12 o'clock the shortest.

8. bptanguay

bptanguay Registered User

Apr 5, 2012
    Watchmaker
    Massachusetts
    Country Flag:
    I'll stop over and help, I'm not far from you.

9. bptanguay

Apr 5, 2012
    Watchmaker
    Massachusetts
    Country Flag:
    First we set the clock to strike the hour. Stopped the pendulum, and loosened each yoke and set them all to the same time as indicated by how many times it struck the bell. Then set it to the correct time and started the pendulum.
    Easy as that.

10. doug sinclair

doug sinclair Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I had to re-set a Seth Thomas 16A one time. That was much easier. A vertical bevel gear in the train drives a horizontal bevel gear on the ascending shaft which drives the transmission wheels (I get jumped on when I call it planetary) which drive the dial trains. Loosen the bolt on the horizontal bevel gear, set all four dials to the correct time, tighten the bolt. Super easy!

11. bptanguay

Apr 5, 2012
    Watchmaker
    Massachusetts
    Country Flag:
    For those following this thread, Robert has worked hard on this clock, became a selectman in the town of Winchester NH and a very active community member. I just heard on the news tonight he was involved in a truck accident and did not survive the crash. My sincere condolences go out to his wife, family, and the town of Winchester. It was an honor working with him as an advisor to saving the E. Howard tower clock he was working on. [​IMG]

12. pmiddents

pmiddents Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Retired USN and college teaching
    Silverdale, WA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag: