• We are aware of the performance issues with the forum. These are due to problems with Comcast's shared lines in the Columbia, PA area. On December 15, we signed a contract to bring a dedicated fiber line to the forum servers. It should take somewhere between 30 and 90 days to install. Thank you for your patience.

Looking for help identifying an old clock

pbowe

Nov 15, 2021
Country
I got this clock at a an antique store several years ago and was wondering if anyone has any information on it. It has what looks like handmade inlay. The concave glass is beautiful, full of bubbles and waves but a little milky in one corner. The case is open (no sides), there are eye hooks on the back plate, I'm unsure if that means it originally had sides. The case is all wood, and there is a single bell at the top that chimes on the hour. The back has three wood pegs, one of which the pendulum hangs from, and appears to be nailed (and possibly glued) on. It runs well and keeps good time. I haven't taken the faceplate off yet, it seems to be held on by a single screw and nails in all 4 corners (see last photo).

IMG_0605.jpg IMG_0604.jpeg IMG_0603.jpeg IMG_0601.jpeg IMG_0599.jpeg IMG_0583.jpeg IMG_0582.jpeg IMG_0602.jpeg IMG_0607.jpg IMG_0608.jpg

Jessk09

NAWCC Member
Feb 27, 2020
Country
Those “nails” are actually i think pins/hooks holding the dial in, the clock is of Black Forest origin, but sadly i cannot supply a date.
I own a similar, yet different clock that has those hooks and those little sticky outy pin things. Attached are photos of my clock.

Regards, Jessk09

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Reactions: pbowe

pbowe

Nov 15, 2021
Country
A fairly typical Black Forest striking (not chiming!) clock from 1860 - 1900.
Thanks! Knowing it's Black Forest, I was able to track down that this type of clock is referred to as a 'wag on the wall' clock. That should help me get more info.

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
The movement and case are somewhat unusual. Usually clocks with the pendulum behind the back plate and having these "pegs" have wheels with wooden arbors. Yours has the steel arbors that are normally seen in cases where the back plate mounts directly to the wall (no pegs) and the pendulum is attached through a cut-out in the bottom plate. Your clock is somewhat the transition between the older and newer style.

Uhralt

Ticktocktime100

Nov 11, 2012
France
www.collectorsweekly.com
Country
Hi,

I can only add that the clock is closer to 1860-1870 in date than to 1900. The inlaid hexagonal dial frame suggests/indicates that the clock was exported from the Black Forest as were a great many, usually to England, Ireland and Scotland.

Regards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tundra130
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller