Looking for handy tool/method

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by MuensterMann, Apr 22, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MuensterMann

MuensterMann Registered User

Mar 23, 2008
    Looking for a handy-dandy tool and/or method for those times putting back together a movement and the mainspring is lopsided towards your second wheel and thus interfering with putting the second wheel pivot safely straight into its hole. I usually use my left hand to hold the mainspring in towards the post while I tighten a coated wire around the mainspring and post to hold it away from interfering with the second wheel safe alignment. However, it is awkward to tighten up the wire with one hand (usually with mainspring lubricant on it), thus I am looking for some strap-like device that I can tighten up easily.

What are your suggestions?

2. bangster

bangster Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A heavy-duty zip tie (cable tie) will work. NOT dime-store cheapies if you value your health. Except there should be a stud on the plate to curtail the spring.

3. MuensterMann

Mar 23, 2008
    Even with that stud, there are some mainsprings (e.g. the large 30 day ones) that like to swell out in the direction of that second wheel.

4. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I nudge the spring away from the hole and put the pivot in place. As the plates come together, the 2nd wheel can be manhandled into the upper hole in the same way, and then it will stay put.

5. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Professional Engineer - Retired
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I started out using the round cross section "C" clamps and then some flat ones when the round wouldn't fit and finally ended up just using soft annealed wire. I have found that prior to disassembly and when letting down the springs is when it is important to let them down such that they are just within the diameter of the great wheel. This helps with disassembly as it doesn't want to move the arbours out of position when the top plate comes off.

Now this is important. When servicing the spring in the spring winder, save the containment wire...don't cut it off. Use it to contain the spring when you have all finished the service. If it fit when it came out it will be good on the way back.

16 awg wheels in place.jpg

David

Kevin W. and Old Rivers like this.
  6. R&A

R&A Registered User

Oct 21, 2008
    Country Flag:
    M44672045.jpg
    Click on image to zoom
    Loop End Mainspring Winder
    Mainspring winder for loop end mainsprings. Winds springs on the main wheel. 2-3/8" x 3-3/4". Made in India.
    Timesavers
    Pricing: $8.50
    Buy one of these.
    I put mine on a lathe and opened up the hole to make clearance for clicks on bigger wheel.
    And then get yourself some clamps to hold the spring.
    The more wound you can get the spring to it's smallest size, is much easier to install.

7. Fitzclan

Fitzclan Registered User

Jul 20, 2014
    Male
    Long Island, New York
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I find that there is an optimum size at which to restrain the spring. The smallest you can get it will cause problems on reassemble as the distance from the loop end to the pivot will not be enough to connect both, it will pull. I think DS has it about right.

8. Altashot

Altashot Registered User

Oct 12, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I’ve been using hose clamps for years. I normally pre bend them in the desired shape before installing them and letting the springs down into them. They somewhat retain their shape even under tension.

M.

9. bangster

bangster Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Despite everyone's objections, I still like heavy-duty zip ties. Quick n easy to apply, quick n easy to remove (snip snip). :emoji_anguished:

10. MuensterMann

Mar 23, 2008
    Thank you for sharing how you handle this problem. I was hoping someone knew of some little straps with ratchets that could be found at any ole hardware store. However, HEAVY-duty zip times and hose clamps may work for me. What I am missing is the easy way to make the loop tighten with only one hand.

11. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Professional Engineer - Retired
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ah one handed. You need a bigger version of the matrix band retainer that dentists use :).

David

12. bangster

bangster Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yep. Teeth.

13. kinsler33

kinsler33 Registered User

Aug 17, 2014
    Male
    Science teacher, writer
    Lancaster, Ohio, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I had a treacherous Korean 31-day time/strike that required C-clips to contain the springs plus an additional zip tie or two on each one to bind the spring to its nearest movement post. What I really needed were some smaller C-clips: flat ones, sawn from a piece of iron plumbing pipe or flat steel bar stock hammered around a mandrel. I've used worm gear hose clamps with some degree of success, but that worm gear housing is forever getting in the way.

M Kinsler