Looking for Draucker Pinion Wire Shear

Discussion in 'Horological Tools' started by ticktock, Mar 2, 2011.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ticktock

ticktock Registered User

Aug 24, 2004
    Country Flag:
    Appreciate the replies I had on a previous post but ran into an article in Clockmakers Newsletter showing a Draucker Lantern Pinion Wire Shear. Does anyone know where I can purchase one of these? I do not want the combo that Merritt's sells.

thanks

tick

2. Dave B

Dave B Banned

Jun 7, 2008
    Civil Engineer; woodwind musician; clock repairman
    Westminster. MD
    Country Flag:
    I have been toying with the idea of making one. Seems to me all you'd need is a few blocks of mild steel, some screws, and a standard 1/4" lathe tool bit ground to the proper shape to act as a shear.

3. erngrover

erngrover Registered User

Aug 6, 2003
    Clockmaker
    Harrisonburg, VA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I saw one recently. A participant in a Field Suitcase Workshop I conducted in February brought it with him. I shall take measurements of it at our next chapter meeting. I'll be back in touch with the dimensions.

The tool I saw had a return spring added to the guillotine knob so that it did not require the user to pull up on the knob to reset it for the next shear.

It was extremely well built, heavy and precise. On the side, I also thought of using it to cut green onion stalks with it.

4. tom427cid

tom427cid Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Cabinetmaker,clock repair
    Moultonborough,NH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Could even use it to trim tail feathers on cuckoos!!!!!
    tom

5. ticktock

ticktock Registered User

Aug 24, 2004
    Country Flag:
    Yep thats the one. If someone is going to make one then count me for one on order.

tick

6. erngrover

Aug 6, 2003
    Clockmaker
    Harrisonburg, VA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Actually Tom, I was thinking of reworking the cuckoo bird from the other end.

BTW, I'm in contact with the maker of the tool. He advised for me to contact him next week upon his return from a trip. He's unsure what he has in inventory.

7. erngrover

Aug 6, 2003
    Clockmaker
    Harrisonburg, VA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    OK, folks, here's the skinny on the Pinion Wire Shear, a.k.a. Draucker Guillotine (as I call it)

I spoke with Bob Draucker of Midlothian, VA who makes these. He has sent me one in the mail, and it should be here today or tomorrow.

His contact information:

Bob Draucker -- Email: clockwise "at" verizon.net / (804) 402-3758