Looking for cosmetic parts circa 1800's Eli Terry shelf clock

Teckelhut

May 10, 2021
Oregon
www.teckelhut.com
Country
Region
I know this is a long shot. Need column and splat, feet and painted front glass. Movement and other internal parts are in fine working order. Column and Splat are the most important to me.

Please PM me on what you have available.

Eli Terry Clock - Copy.jpg

captainclock

Mar 4, 2013
Elkhart, Indiana
Country
Region
That's what I figured, because I knew Eli Terry had ceased Clock Manufacturing sometime before the Civil War (in the 1850s or so).
So I knew the 1920s date you put into your thread title had to be a typo.

And don't worry typos happen all the time (as much as we try to avoid them).

Jim DuBois

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2008
Magnolia, TX
Country
Region
no, not 1805. The style of clock was not "invented" until about 1827. The movement in your clock is Eli Terry's Type 5, patented in 1825 also. In his autobiography, Jerome claimed that he “invented” the bronzed looking-glass clock in 1825. Chris Bailey, in From Rags to Riches to Rags: The Story of Chauncey Jerome, believed that Jerome was mistaken and placed the origin of this clock style in 1827.

Teckelhut

May 10, 2021
Oregon
www.teckelhut.com
Country
Region
That's what I figured, because I knew Eli Terry had ceased Clock Manufacturing sometime before the Civil War (in the 1850s or so).
So I knew the 1920s date you put into your thread title had to be a typo.

And don't worry typos happen all the time (as much as we try to avoid them).
Nah. Im not worried about typos. I excel at them. LOL!

Thanks for letting me know.

Teckelhut

May 10, 2021
Oregon
www.teckelhut.com
Country
Region
no, not 1805. The style of clock was not "invented" until about 1827. The movement in your clock is Eli Terry's Type 5, patented in 1825 also. In his autobiography, Jerome claimed that he “invented” the bronzed looking-glass clock in 1825. Chris Bailey, in From Rags to Riches to Rags: The Story of Chauncey Jerome, believed that Jerome was mistaken and placed the origin of this clock style in 1827.
OK. Thank you.

captainclock

Mar 4, 2013
Elkhart, Indiana
Country
Region
Nah. Im not worried about typos. I excel at them. LOL!

Thanks for letting me know.
No Problem, The clock you have appears to be a Column and Cornice style clock, which I have a Seth Thomas Column and Cornice Clock from about 1858 that came from my Great-Grandfather's house, and he got it from the church he was a member of for years which was the original owner of the clock.

Mine I had to order new weights, pendulum bob, suspension rod, hands and winding crank for the clock because when I got the clock it was in pieces and I was able to reassemble the clock and got it going again.

Good luck getting your clock going! :D

Teckelhut

May 10, 2021
Oregon
www.teckelhut.com
Country
Region
No Problem, The clock you have appears to be a Column and Cornice style clock, which I have a Seth Thomas Column and Cornice Clock from about 1858 that came from my Great-Grandfather's house, and he got it from the church he was a member of for years which was the original owner of the clock.

Mine I had to order new weights, pendulum bob, suspension rod, hands and winding crank for the clock because when I got the clock it was in pieces and I was able to reassemble the clock and got it going again.

Good luck getting your clock going! :D
Actually the only things missing on this clock is cosmetic. It works just fine. Has everything including the crank and all. The movement was restored back in 1957 and then used as a display piece at the previous owner's jewelry store in Chamberlin SD. The son inherited it and didnt want it so he put it on Craigslist for $125.

captainclock

Mar 4, 2013
Elkhart, Indiana
Country
Region
Actually the only things missing on this clock is cosmetic. It works just fine. Has everything including the crank and all. The movement was restored back in 1957 and then used as a display piece at the previous owner's jewelry store in Chamberlin SD. The son inherited it and didnt want it so he put it on Craigslist for $125.

That's what I meant when I said getting it going. I guess I should of been more clear about that. Sorry about that. :oops:

Teckelhut

May 10, 2021
Oregon
www.teckelhut.com
Country
Region
That's what I meant when I said getting it going. I guess I should of been more clear about that. Sorry about that. :oops:
Oh! Thats OK. Yeah. I am only a clock collector not a clock smith. I have a man who has been repairing and restoring clocks for 50 years. Its at his shop now. While its there, the case is being sent over to a clock case restoration place. This clock deserves that being about 200 years old.

captainclock

Mar 4, 2013
Elkhart, Indiana
Country
Region
same here, I have High Functioning Autism and I've really been facinated by clocks ever since I was little and I really like collecting them, but I also like dabbling in repairing them as well, I have repaired a few clocks on my own already and I am self-taught, I also dabble in electronics repair, I restore antique radios and record players of which I'm self taught in that as well.

Teckelhut

May 10, 2021
Oregon
www.teckelhut.com
Country
Region
same here, I have High Functioning Autism and I've really been facinated by clocks ever since I was little and I really like collecting them, but I also like dabbling in repairing them as well, I have repaired a few clocks on my own already and I am self-taught, I also dabble in electronics repair, I restore antique radios and record players of which I'm self taught in that as well.

I have a friend that has the same condition as you. He photographs cars for a living. He started when he was 12. Self taught. Makes seasoned professionals look like amateurs. I am so happy when I hear that people don' let their disabilities get in the way of their life. I am disabled myself but I just say its who I am and go on with life.

captainclock

Mar 4, 2013
Elkhart, Indiana
Country
Region
I have a friend that has the same condition as you. He photographs cars for a living. He started when he was 12. Self taught. Makes seasoned professionals look like amateurs. I am so happy when I hear that people don' let their disabilities get in the way of their life. I am disabled myself but I just say its who I am and go on with life.
That's pretty cool. I do some photography as well, but mainly for reference photos for when I'm working on old radios, record players or clocks so I can put them back together the way they were originally if I have to take stuff apart.

Teckelhut

May 10, 2021
Oregon
www.teckelhut.com
Country
Region
That's pretty cool. I do some photography as well, but mainly for reference photos for when I'm working on old radios, record players or clocks so I can put them back together the way they were originally if I have to take stuff apart.
Thats cool. There are some things I don't mess with on clocks because I'm afraid I'm going to screw them up. When that happens I send them to my friend to work on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Furgus2021
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller