Looking for clues about German movement, unmarked of course

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by scottmiami, Dec 30, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. scottmiami

scottmiami Registered User

May 14, 2014
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Would appreciate if anyone knows who the maker might be for this. Reassembling case thanks to UPS' ever so careful handling, so no pictures of it right now, but it's a vienna style spring driven T&S.

100_2000.jpg 100_1998.jpg 100_2012.jpg 100_2017.jpg

Thanks!
    Scott

2. whcureton

whcureton Registered User

Oct 27, 2010
    Retired
    Paradise, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    looks like a platform movement ... Kienzle and DUFA usually "signed" their movements. It's going
    to be tough to identify. Looks like a Kienzle or DUFA type dial. Anything on the gong base?
    Any stickers or writing on the clock back?

3. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    Its a very common movement but I don't know who made it either. Someone will have your answer.
    Happy New Year,
    Willie X

4. scottmiami

May 14, 2014
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    No, definitely not a platform escapement, unless you mean something I don't understand, which is entirely possible.

Can't flip the case over right now, clamping & gluing at the moment, and the gong base doesn't appear to have anything written on it, though it does have some surface rust, maybe after cleaning it up I can find something. It's a coiled gong.

Here's the original listing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/262133740650?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Will take a closer look at the gong when I get the clamps off, hopefully tonight after work.

Thanks!

5. scottmiami

May 14, 2014
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Willie! What most caught my eye was the clicksprings. They reminded me of Waterbury tabbed clicksprings, and also the way they are on the outer edges, rather than crimped against the clicks.

6. whcureton

Oct 27, 2010
    Retired
    Paradise, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    what i meant was the movement mounts on a platform which slides into the case ... now that i've
    seen photos of the whole clock it sure looks like a Kienzle. Man, those click springs are "different"
    Even the medallions and carvings look like the Kienzle's that I've seen. Very, very Germanic case.
    I am wondering if the symbolism in the clock dial center (less so, perhaps, on the pendulum) is
    a clue to the maker of this clock. I'll browse my Kochmann for similarities. Again, look carefully
    at the gong base. It's pretty clock. Oil that wood up and it will look really nice again!
    - Bill in Northern California

7. scottmiami

May 14, 2014
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you very much again for your help Bill. And thanks for clarifying. Still very much a newbie here, I learn something new every time I visit the site.

8. John Arrowood

John Arrowood Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    The bits on the seat board for fastening the movement to the bracket in the case look unusual to me. Do the bracket legs have curved areas for the curved parts to slide in? The seat boards I've seen have narrow ends that slide into grooves in the brackets and the brackets have holes in them for the bolts on each side of the seat board to screw in and hold the seat board in place.

9. scottmiami

May 14, 2014
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #9 scottmiami, Dec 30, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2015

Thanks for your input John! Yes, they are both curved. It's a perfect fit.

100_2019.jpg 100_2025.jpg

Bill, not seeing anything on the back of the case or the gong, maybe when i clean it up, though I'm not holding my breath.

It also has an interesting beat indicator, if that jogs anyone's memories:

100_2028.jpg

Again, thanks to all!
    Scott

10. whcureton

Oct 27, 2010
    Retired
    Paradise, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Scott
    John used the correct terminology ... "seat board" ... I called it a "movement platform" which is NOT the proper name for it.
    My fault. I've only been fooling with clocks or about 6 or 7
    years so I guess that makes me a "newbie" too! LOL I mess
    around with all sorts of mechanical antiques including old cars but I somehow keep gravitating back to clocks. All I know is that if you put two clocks in one room overnight you'll have three the next
    day ... and so on and so forth. Check out the
    photos on the second page of postings in this forum entitled
    "Sold for this much?" relating to Japanese novelty clocks.
    I shared one of the photos with my wife from a members front
    room and my wife said
    "That looks like our house!" I said "Not yet" LOLOL

Your German wall clock is totally baffling ... the lack of ID ...
    looks like an inter-war year (20's -30's) clock but could be earlier.
    Some of our German movement experts might assign it to a slightly earlier period. Many German clocks from that period had at least "Foreign" on the bottom of the dial ... some kind of English tariff requirement for importation. You clock has no marks whatsoever.
    The dial center and pendulum look art nouveau ... I almost detect a sytlized "Star of David" in the dial center.
    - Bill in Northern California