Looking for any info on antique Henry Birks and sons pocket watch

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by rachd, May 27, 2011.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. rachd

rachd New Member

May 27, 2011
    Hi!
    When I was 9 (almost 30 years ago) I put my dad's heirloom pocket watch through the wash....wrecking it. He was heartbroken (so was I) and could not find a jeweller at the time who could help him. So I just secretly found someone who has made it like new and I will give it to him for Fathers' Day which I am over the moon about. I would love to give him some more info on the watch as well. Can anyone help me? I am mostly curious about the age and which company may have built it. It is Henry Birks and Sons, open face, gold, ceramic face, with case # 187129 and I think it says CASHIER on the case as well. The movement has lovely etching and # 52870.
    Thank you from a very excited (and redeemed) daughter!

2. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello Rachd, i am sure your father will be quite pleased.
    Birks used quite a few makers for their movements in watches.If you can post a clear picture of the movement i am sure someone here should be able to help identify what you have.

3. tick talk

tick talk Registered User

Sep 16, 2008
    Country Flag:
    I like Birks too!

Not mine, BTW...

Attached Files:

4. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That isn't a pocket watch, ticktalk. Lets keep it on the subject. How about some pictures of the movement in yours rachd.

5. Kent

Kent Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Silver Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Hi rachd:

Your father's Henry Birks and Sons watch is what we refer to as a private label watch. Hopefully, when we see your pictues of the movement, we'll be able to identify the manufacturer.

The Cashier watch case was made by the Canadian American Watch Case Co. and it is gold-filled.

Having gathered and printed out information about a family watch, it is a wise idea to write out as much as you know about the family member to whom the watch originally belonged. Then, add the names and relationships of the family members who passed it down to the current holder. Make up a booklet with this and all of the watch information and try to keep it with the watch. You might even include a CD or, better yet, a USB thumb drive with copies of the pictures or information, in addition to the printouts. Even though they may not be readable 100 years from now, some more recent descendent may transfer the files to the then current format and media. This way, the watch has real family heritage instead of it just being an old family watch, the identity and relationship of the original owner having been lost in the distant past.

Good luck,

6. Les harland

Les harland Registered User

Apr 10, 2008
    Male
    Hertfordshire England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Loomes Watch and Clockmakers of the World lists:-
    Birks, Henry and sons Canada 1905

7. rachd

rachd New Member

May 27, 2011
    Oh hello everyone! I had no idea I had responses to my post! I thought I would get an email notice that I had a reply..I apologize for that! I will post a picture of the movement tomorrow for sure...I hope I have not lost you kind people...thank you so much for all the info. Rachael

8. rachd

rachd New Member

May 27, 2011
    Hello again....I am hoping my attached photo comes through...and I hope I haven't lost you all...I truly appreciate anything you can share with me!

Rachael

Attached Files:

9. astonvilla

astonvilla Registered User

Jun 3, 2001
    Male
    Country Flag:
    My best guess is Longines / Agassiz , or maybe Badollet.

10. Burkhard Rasch

Burkhard Rasch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    General-and trauma surgeon
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    a verry fine watch,Congrats! But:it has a micrometer regulator:the pointed lever that points from the ballance cock towards the main plate is supposed to sit on the threaded shaft that´s on the ballance cock for fine regulation.Who ever did the restoration for You should be asked to fix that,too,i.e.to regulate the watch so that the index-pointer sits on that shaft within the range of regulation.HTH
    Regards
    Burkhard

11. John Turner

John Turner Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 3, 2018
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi, I have a watch like this also, though mine is in a hunter case. I can't find out who made the movement either, so I thought I'd revive this thread before trying a new one. Maybe someone has discovered the maker in the last 9 years? Here are 2 pictures of mine. And Happy New Year!

DSCN0300a.jpg DSCN0301a.jpg

viclip likes this.
  12. eri231

eri231 Registered User

Jan 13, 2012
    Male
    torino italy
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    your movement was made by Badollet of Geneva.
    regards enrico