Clock Open Looking for a very small movement for my very small cottage clock!

Elgin_Galaxie

Jul 20, 2019
Batesville, Indiana
Country
Region
I got this little guy at an auction a few months ago and have been wanting to get it going for awhile now. There is no information or markings on the case or the movement and every person i've shown this movement to says they've never seen one like it..So if you have a small movement you think might work, please let me know. Thanks!

IMG_6637.JPG IMG_6638.JPG IMG_6639.JPG IMG_6640.JPG IMG_6641.JPG

Elgin_Galaxie

Jul 20, 2019
Batesville, Indiana
Country
Region
It needs way more work than I am capable of doing at this point. Someone had it before me and they really jacked it up. I do plan on putting the original movement back in when I get some more experience.

Reactions: Dave T

Dave T

NAWCC Member
Dec 8, 2011
NC
Country
Region
I would think that reviving this movement would still be the best option.

There are many folks here to guide you through the process if you're at all inclined.

What would you consider the issues to be?
Some detailed pictures might help.

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
This movement appears to be a dual ladder movement (with an alarm extension) designed by S.B. Terry. The cottage clock could be a Gilbert. Terry worked for Gilbert about 1859 to 1861 and redesigned some of their shelf clock movements. It is a movement well worth keeping and at least eventually restoring.

Reactions: Jmeechie and Dave T

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Do you happen to have a picture of the movement in place with the door open? Thanks!

Elgin_Galaxie

Jul 20, 2019
Batesville, Indiana
Country
Region
Do you happen to have a picture of the movement in place with the door open? Thanks!
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I don't have any pictures of it in the clock, the movement is currently with one of my mentors, we are going to restore it when/if he ever gets time. Next time i'm at his house, I'll grab it and put it in and snap a picture. I'd love to attempt it on my own, but I don't want to take the chance of ruining something that old. The waiting doesn't bother me as much now, I recently got an Ansonia cottage clock the same size, it needs a dial but it's complete and running, so I'll just watch the movement through the glass for now.

Reactions: PatH

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zmuzaffarov
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller