Looking for a verge fusee case

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by th90a9, Sep 3, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. th90a9

th90a9 Registered User

Oct 5, 2008
    sales
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm still looking for a case for a verge fusee. the problem is that it is small and thick. It measures 36mm across the wide plate and is 13mm thick to the dial surface. I know from past messages I put in that most of these were made to fit but I'm willing to do some modifications to a case that needs it. I have it in a glass container for the past two years cause I don't want it to get dirty as it was when I first got it. It still runs and only gets about a minute fast in twenty four hours. Any help will be deeply appreciated. Thanks all.

2. MartyR

MartyR Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Dec 16, 2008
    UK
    Country Flag:
    Why don't you post this in the Want to Buy forum? I think you are more likely to get response there :)

3. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi th90a9,

They were indeed almost all made for specific movements, at least up until the latter part of the 19th century, but there's also the consideration of a type of case which is appropriate for the style of movement. If it's back wound as the majority are, then you'll have to arrange for winding, and the double-back open face cases with a fixed dome which largely supplanted the pair case, (often, and incorrectly, lumped together as 'consular'), may not offer enough depth. From the dimensions you give it could perhaps have had pair cases originally; a picture of the movement would be helpful in arriving at an approximate date.

Regards,

Graham

Keith R... likes this.
  4. Les harland

Les harland Registered User

Apr 10, 2008
    Male
    Hertfordshire England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It might be worth keeping an eye on auction sites
    You will be able to bid higher than scrappers as you do not need to make a profit

Keith R... likes this.
  5. th90a9

th90a9 Registered User

Oct 5, 2008
    sales
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Attached Files:

6. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi th90a9,

This movement appears to date from the 1750s or 60s judging by the pillar shapes and the 'lace-edge' to the balance cock table, and has the case joint, (hinge), on the pillar plate rather than a brass edge.

An interesting way of adding pictures by the way, although it isn't really necessary to add them all to a zip file, since each image is quite small and well within the MB size limits, (the software will resize over-large images anyway).

Regards,

Graham

7. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here are the images out of captivity and cropped to remove extraneous background.
    20160207_140017.jpg 20160207_140042.jpg 20160207_140100.jpg 20160207_140204.jpg 20160207_140220.jpg 20160207_140331.jpg

Keith R... likes this.
  8. Omexa

Omexa Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 28, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    Darwin, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi, my humble opinion is that it is almost impossible to get early deep Verge Cases; I have in the past using my mild Silversmith skills domed out the back of the Case to get enough depth. A very nice early Verge movement that you have. I have about 30-40 movements with the same problem; no suitable Case. Here is an unfinished Case in photos. I have also considered cutting the back off a Case and making a new back from Silver Plate. Have you the under Dial Wheels? Regards Ray
    1a.jpg 2a.jpg 3a.jpg 4a.jpg 5a.jpg

Keith R... likes this.
  9. th90a9

th90a9 Registered User

Oct 5, 2008
    sales
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Omexa, Yes I have the wheels. I have even tried the method you tried to bang out the rear side but to no avail. I couldn't get it deep enough. If I could only be a casemaker. LOL. I'm constantly looking at auction houses, ebay etc. I only wish I could find a case for it before they send it to be scrapped. I might try soon to make one from multiple cases. I am quite good at soldering. Wish me luck either way. Thanks for the reply.

Keith R... likes this.
  10. th90a9

th90a9 Registered User

Oct 5, 2008
    sales
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Tom for posting the pics for me. I appreciate it. I'm used to working on mechanical things not these blessed electronics. Thanks again.

11. th90a9

th90a9 Registered User

Oct 5, 2008
    sales
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Les, what auction sites are you using? Just curious.

12. Les harland

Les harland Registered User

Apr 10, 2008
    Male
    Hertfordshire England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A few months ago I used ebay to find an outer case for an 1848 pair case verge
    I could not get an exact match for the inner case, it needed a file to make it fit and there was couple of years difference in the ages
    I did not realise your movement was so old

13. th90a9

th90a9 Registered User

Oct 5, 2008
    sales
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That's the problem I'm having. It is old like me....hard to find parts for..LOL

14. th90a9

th90a9 Registered User

Oct 5, 2008
    sales
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well I have made a frankenwatch case for the movement. Its not perfect but it holds and protects the movement well. Now I am looking for a dial for it. It measures 34mm and it is supposed to be a high dome style. I believe it also is supposed to be arabic numbers and be porcelain. If anyone knows where to buy one please let me know. I can't Franken that. Thanks to all of you.

15. Omexa

Omexa Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 28, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    Darwin, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Please do not use this term "frankenwatch" that is used on the American forum; it gets my back up. As a matter of fact Frankenstein was the Doctor not Mary Shelley's Monster. Good on you for making a case that is now part of the provenance of the Pocket Watch. Regards Ray

Keith R... likes this.
  16. th90a9

th90a9 Registered User

Oct 5, 2008
    sales
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Didn't mean to offend anyone with ××××ken watch. Its just I never had to make one fit in a case meant for a regular fusee movement. I still need to learn terms I guess. Thanks Ray for the knowledge. I will be happy when this one is all done. Just need a dial now.

17. Omexa

Omexa Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 28, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    Darwin, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi, you didn't offend me it is just that to me, using that term is like having a go at someone with a disability. Good on you for having a go at Case alterations. Keep up the good work. Regards Ray

Keith R... likes this.
  18. Keith R...

Keith R... Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 27, 2012
    Male
    Retired Sr. Proj. mgr,
    South
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Life is about adjustments. Here's a decent movement holder.

Keith R...

100_3174 (800x600).jpg

19. Allan C. Purcell

Allan C. Purcell Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 9, 2013
    Male
    retired
    Germany
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Ray, did you consider guilt cases-or is there a problem with re-guilding these old cases. The one below has the same measures as the watch above posted by th90a9. Rear plate 34mm dail 37mm. It´s by George Prior. The outer case is missing. Nice about the case, it has the sponsors mark of I.B and the most likely maker would I think be John Baxter 113 Banner Street, Bunhill Row. One for Nick-he used to live there.

IMG_6266.JPG IMG_6267.JPG IMG_6268.JPG IMG_6271.JPG IMG_6271 (2).JPG

20. Omexa

Omexa Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 28, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    Darwin, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Allan, there is a problem Gilding Cases; I have a nice running George Prior similar to the one in your photos. Regards Ray

21. anguilla1980

anguilla1980 Registered User

May 21, 2014
    Anguilla, BWI
    Country Flag:
    This thread has me thinking, since I am in need or a pair case for a mid-18th century movement....

If I bought a pair case that's "close enough", are there any well know and qualified persons who can re-work it to a nice custom fit?

22. Roboman

Roboman Registered User

Sep 21, 2016
    writer and retired
    New York
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi
    I recently contacted a 3/D maker online
    Problem is to make the file (design by my measurements for case) just to make a plastic or alloy template to test the movement fit before having a silver or gold case made in three pieces /case-bezel and inner plate to have the verge sit it
    (The last sit in piece so if it off a bit it’s cheaper to redesign that then the case and bezel) the design company wants 700-1000 usd !!!
    Thanks
    Rob