Clock Looking for A Replacement Mechanism for This OGEE Clock

tomtomsjc

May 30, 2009
I have taken this clock to several repair shops but no one can fix it. The spring snapped. I am hoping to find a replacement 8 day mechanism for this 8 day Seth Thomas OGEE Clock.....Thank you

OGEE.jpg

Jim_Miller

NAWCC Member
Mar 6, 2001
Jackson, Michigan
Country
Region
I guess I'd like to know what is meant by " the spring has snapped". It is a common repair to replace broken springs. Are you capable ( no offense) to take off the hands and dial so we can see the movement?
Jim

tomtomsjc

May 30, 2009
I guess I'd like to know what is meant by " the spring has snapped". It is a common repair to replace broken springs. Are you capable ( no offense) to take off the hands and dial so we can see the movement?
Jim
Yes, I will open it up later when I get home

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Clocks can be repaired, did someone tell you that a spring cannot be replaced?

tomtomsjc

May 30, 2009
I posted some pictures. 3 clock repair people told me the mechanism cannot be repaired. It is an 8 day clock

Jim_Miller

NAWCC Member
Mar 6, 2001
Jackson, Michigan
Country
Region
Other than a couple of spots using solder as a fix, I can’t see where the problem might be. Where are you located? Is it possible you can contact a local chapter for help?

bruce linde

Technical Admin
NAWCC Member
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
did they say it couldn't be fixed? or that fixing it would be cost-prohibitive? i see nothing out of the ordinary. otoh, a replacement movement is also going to have issues that will need to be dealt with.

tomtomsjc

May 30, 2009
did they say it couldn't be fixed? or that fixing it would be cost-prohibitive? i see nothing out of the ordinary. otoh, a replacement movement is also going to have issues that will need to be dealt with.
I have been told both too much time and cost prohibitive. I live in Mission Viejo California. I am determined to find someone that will fix it.

senhalls

Apr 4, 2006
western PA.
Country
Region
It has already had bushing work done. It looks like an easy overhaul. I do not see a broken spring. Nice clock. Pursue the repairs.

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Sounds like these clock places dont need any work, i dont see any big issues that would make someone not want to repair it.I would try to get in touch with someone through a NAWCC chapter for repair help.

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tcbarnard70
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
How to wire a 24 volt secondary for a 12 volt ITR/IBM Master clock system by Toughtool