Longines-Wittnauer LeCoultre Aircraft clock

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by Dave T, Jun 18, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 8, 2011
    retired accountant
    NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Not sure this is the right forum, but searches reveal little information on this clock.
    Trying to figure out how to remove the stem on this clock. From all the pictures I can find in this model, I think the movement dial is upside down! And also need balance staff repaired, so far!
    There's no dial glass retaining ring in the bezel. It does not come out the front of the case.
    Any help in identifying this clock, dating it, or references would be greatly appreciated, as usual.

aircraft clock swiss LeCoultre 7j 1.jpg aircraft clock swiss LeCoultre 7j.jpg aircraft clock.jpg

2. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 8, 2011
    retired accountant
    NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    No aircraft clock experts out there! Can anyone tell me how to remove the winding stem?
    aircraft clock swiss LeCoultre 7j 2.jpg

3. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Not ever having seen this particular clock, I'll have a guess based on other Aircraft clcks I've seen. The Knob unscrews, possibly via a grub screw? The lot is removed via the front of the clock?

4. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 8, 2011
    retired accountant
    NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That's about the only conclusion I've come to also. But the only way to hold it to unscrew it, is to put some vice grips on the end of the stem to hold it. Hate to mar it up.

5. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 8, 2011
    retired accountant
    NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Update, Used a pair of strong smooth jaw pliers with a piece of fine sandpaper. That held the stem tight enough to unscrew the stem!
    Now to find a balance staff. Where on earth?

6. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Surely it has a caliber number? Anyway, measure all the sections and send an order off if you don't want to be sitting at the lathe turning it yourself.

7. breeze

breeze Registered User

May 2, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Watch folks may be able to help. :?|

Breeze