Longines Watch circa 1930

Koz

Jul 6, 2022
Country
I am new to the watch service forum. I have a Longines Admiral and am not able to remove the movement. I believe it is a one piece case. I have removed the crystal and movement is somewhat loose but the stem seems to hold it in place. Ant hints on how proceed?

John Runciman

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 13, 2003
Seattle, WA
Country
Region
I believe it is a one piece case. I have removed the crystal and movement is somewhat loose but the stem seems to hold it in place. Ant hints on how proceed?
always nice if you would post a picture rather than assuming that we know exactly what you're telling us. Often times people see the picture instantly know what you need to do. But no matter what pictures help us to see what the problem is as there are so many variations to things.

Skutt50

Mar 14, 2008
Gothenburg
Country
Welcome to the forum.

May I suggest your next step to be posting some pictures of the front, side and back of the movement.

Skutt50

Mar 14, 2008
Gothenburg
Country
I haven't seen that watch before but I have two suggestions:

1 - Split stem . Just pull hard on the crown and half the stem should come loose allowing the movement to come out.

2 - Dial that is friction fit in some plastic tubes. Check the part of the rim that you can see, if there are any dial screws visable. If not prey carefully on the dial and check if it comes loose fairly easily.

I don't seem to be able to magnify the pictures so it is hard to see what is going on. Try a bit closer and also the back would be interesting to see.

Reactions: Wimberleytech

Koz

Jul 6, 2022
Country
I haven't seen that watch before but I have two suggestions:

1 - Split stem . Just pull hard on the crown and half the stem should come loose allowing the movement to come out.

2 - Dial that is friction fit in some plastic tubes. Check the part of the rim that you can see, if there are any dial screws visable. If not prey carefully on the dial and check if it comes loose fairly easily.

I don't seem to be able to magnify the pictures so it is hard to see what is going on. Try a bit closer and also the back would be interesting to see.
Thanks. The split stem idea worked. Pulled hard and it come out allowing the movement to be removed form the case. I was very cautious about using too much force. thanks again to all who responded.

Koz

Jul 6, 2022
Country
Thanks. The split stem idea worked. Pulled hard and it come out allowing the movement to be removed form the case. I was very cautious about using too much force. thanks again to all who responded.

Koz

Jul 6, 2022
Country
Ah. Yep. It is an automatic.
So was the dial in two pieces?
Was it you who put the scratch near the barrel arbor?
The dial seems to be in two pieces. The center parr of the dial is in fact the hour hand. No i did not I who scratch the barrel arbor. I bought this piece on eBay hoping for a good find.

Koz

Jul 6, 2022
Country
The scratch is on the main plate.
I see what you are talking about now. I did not do this. The watch is old and I think it has been service before. Hope to start the service next week. I got involve with another piece befor I found this blog And the solution to removing the movement.

Koz

Jul 6, 2022
Country
For some reason that I don't fathom, it looks like someone scratched it by lifting the centre piece out of the dial?
I took another photo of the movement after it was removed. The scratch on the dial at 6 was most likely cause by the fact that the center part of the dial and one hand was loose under the crystal and moved around on top of the larger dial.

37A806ED-F37D-415F-ACF1-F15336E709B9.jpeg

svenedin

NAWCC Member
Jan 28, 2010
Surrey
Country
Region
Unlikely to be 1930 with Incabloc shock protection (although invented in 1934 not in common use until later).......

Last edited:
Reactions: MrRoundel

Koz

Jul 6, 2022
Country
I‘ll look the serial number in the data base to get the best time frame. Thanks for helping out on this. As I said earlier I am beginner as you can tell. I’ll contact you soon with my next problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerm346
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-